LONGINES-WITTNAUER WATCH CO.INC

Next Clock

Text on back reads:
STOCK NO. R88-C-573-11
MFRS. PART NO. H-37500
CONTRACT NOs 96322
MFRS. SER. NO. 013309
HAMILTON WATCH CO.

Any information would be appreciated, I picked them up at an estate sale, the small one for $12, the bigger one for $50. Were those reasonable prices?

Posts: 2 | Location: Santa Rosa, California U.S.A. | Registered: March 06, 2005
posted
See Military Timepieces by Marvin Whitney

Page 24 Waltham Aircraft Clock- Type A-11

Page 104 Elgin-Hamilton Elapsed Time Aircraft Clock

Frank Menez

Posts: 39 | Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire USA | Registered: February 18, 2005
posted
Condition is an important part of a clock's value and sometimes extensive repairs can wind up costing more than what you would be able to sell it for. At the prices you paid, though, you did get a good deal even if they need some (not extensive) work. These models sell frequently on Ebay and you can go there for a few weeks to find them you can see the going prices. If you keep these two clocks, and I hope you do as they are a good starting point for a WW II aircraft clock collection, and if they are currently in running condition, I would recommend that you not actually run them for very long until you have them cleaned and oiled by a professional (not one of those $30 specials you see at local malls where an unskilled person simply dunks the movement in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few moments and then squirts a bit of lubricant on it). The reason is old oil and dirt that has built up over the years in the mechanism can cause a lot of damage if you run it for very long, especially on the Hamilton Chronometer (the one with 4 little dials around the main one). To get this "grit" out of the delicate works these have to be completely disassembled, cleaned, worn parts replaced, reassembled, and adjusted for correct time keeping. There aren't many watchmakers left with the skill and experience to do this and you need to pay them for the hours of their uniquely skilled time it takes to do it.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I had intended to send the Longines to my Brother-in-Law as a birthday gift and keep the Chronograph for myself but now I wanna keep both of them, they've been growing on me.
The Longines appears to loose about 50 seconds per 24 hours, the Chronograph is loosing over 2 minutes per 24 hours. Is there a good resource for a complete novice like myself for adjusting for better timekeeping?
The condition of both clocks is great, when I get an opportunity I'll take some better pictures (those ones above were taken with a flash, I haven't had a chance to take any in natural, ambient lighting)
thanks again for the info so far, keep it coming.

Posts: 2 | Location: Santa Rosa, California U.S.A. | Registered: March 06, 2005
posted
Brian, On the back of the clocks, there is a large screw, and by that screw it should say adjustment or regulator. Remove that screw. When you look down into the hole below the screw, you will see the regulator. Move it a little to the fast position, and replacet the screw.

Tom