• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Back in the 1980's I acquired an Elgin Chronometer. I have been trying to find answers about it ever since. It is double boxed , the larger 85 size and is marked Elgin National Watch Company. Number 101.This is also on the dial. It is definately not a model 600. The most unusual feature about the clock is the winding mech located in the upper left corner. When you raise the lever it raises a winding gear under the clock that engages the winding stem. Turning the handle to the right winds the clock. When you are done winding you lower the handle and it disengages from the clock and it returns to being fully gimballed. I have been told this is pre WW1 and probably the first ships chronometer ever made by Elgin( #101 ) I haven't been able to find any concrete info on the piece. It is definately factory manufactured to a high standard. Any information on this clock would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Location: Tampa, Florida USA | Registered: December 22, 2005
posted
Hello Howard,

Prior to U.S. participation in WWII (1941). U.S. Naval Observatory contacted all major watch makers (Waltham, Hamilton, Elgin) requesting they submit designs and examples for a naval chronometer knowing a huge supply will be needed and Britain and Switzerland could not supply enough of them.

Making a long story short - only Hamilton was able to deliver a "true" chronometer (their famous 21) that actually met requirements. Waltham and Elgin did submit a few examples that exist and occasionally pop up.

It is possible you have an Elgin chronometer that worked but did not met navy rigid specifications.

During WWI navy purchased from Waltham a gimballed 15 jewel version of their car clock as a "deck watch". WW II navy purchased a variety of high end pocket watches in both gimballed and non gimballed version "deck watches" from Elgin, Hamilton, and Waltham. Elgin cased free sprung "Father Time" movement in gimballed mounts and these deck watches are few in number, but highly prized and bring significantly prices.

Hope this gives you some background. Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
posted
I was told that by someone a while ago than upon further research he said that this clock was much earlier ( He believed about 1900 ) as the type of writing on the dial as well as National in the name would date it to pre 1920. I have included a picture of the dial. The clock is much larger than a father time "35 size" and is the 85 size like the Hamilton 21.Do you possibly know about the serial number 101? All records show this was for the first watch ever made and never used again. Is it possible that they reused #101 to designate the first chronometer ever made ? Thanks again.

posted
Additional pic of movement

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
This is a really strange piece. It does not conform to any design that I have seen.

At first glance it looks like an English 8-day design, but, of course, it is not with the run clearly shown on the up/down dial.

Having the barrel and fuzee mounted on the top plate with the balance is totally bizarre and very dangerous to the operation of the machine. If the fuzee chain breaks the balance and balance staff would be destroyed. In 8-day machines there is a shroud to prevent that from happening.

My guess is that this is a prototype chronometer developed during WWI by Elgin that was never actually put into production, even as a small run.

There were actually quite a few of the model 600 made. I will post a picture of one to avoid any confusion with the subject piece.

Note the serial number on this model 600 example.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Is there a serial number on the movement?
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Movement is blank , number is on dial ,inside and outer wodden boxes. Thanks

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The number 101 is interesting. Often, watchmakers, like gunmakers, would not start with number 1, but with 101 or 1001. Thus, you may have serial number 1. As noted by Tom, you may have the only one made.

Thanks for posting your interesting clock.

BTW: I wonder if the Elgin data base might have some information about this clock?

Elgin Data Base

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002