• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

British "H.S." designations "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
When did the British Hydrographic Office adopt the H.S. 1,2,3,4 designations for various levels of timekeeping requirements?

I have two Hamilton 3992B watches. One has C.H.S 3 stamped on the back cover. The other has just a "3" along with the Serial number.

I am researching a Dent deck watch. It is a pin set, non hacking 3/4 plate lever. The movement (57163) was purchased in 1911 by the Hydrographic Office and then found its way into a case/dial (dial marked 56752) purchased in 1909 The back of the case is stamped H.S. 3

Both serial numbers are recorded in the Greenwich records and included in the book on Dent by Vaudrey Mercer. The last entry for 56752 (dial/case) has it returning to the depot at Plymouth in 1936. The last entry for 57163 (movement) has it being transferred to the Australian Navy in 1921.

The watch is in a box with a label reading "Issued from the Chronometer Section Hydrographic Department, Ministry of Defense Herstmonceux Castle, Hailsham Sussex.

I am trying to guess when and where the "marriage" occurred. I believe all responsibility for navigation timepieces moved to Herstmonceux in 1949 but there is nothing to connect the box to the watch. The inner cover of the case (London 1909 hallmark) has the movement serial number, 57163, scratched in.

Paul Middents

Paul Middents

Posts: 7 | Location: Silverdale and Copalis Beach, WA | Registered: March 01, 2010
posted
From the book military timepieces by Wesolowski they have a page with English military marking from 1914-1918 they used H.S. marking and from 1939-1946 they used H arrow S with differnt number's like 1 for chronometer watch with detent escapement.It's a good book with a lot of info.I hope that helps.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Here is a web site with a little info I found.
http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/watch.htm

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Mike,

Many thanks from one Ol' Pro to another. Enjoyed your pictures from Diego Garcia. The USS Emory Land left Bremerton yesterday for her new home port, Diego Garcia! I don't envy them.

I have just ordered the Wesolowski.

I think the movement got married to the case during the buildup to WWII. That's when it got the H.S. marking and the new movement number scratched inside the case. All responsibility for navigational timepieces migrated to Herstmonceuux in 1949. The watch must have been surplussed sometime after that.

I would be good to have some WWII history on the watch. Both the movement and the case have interesting WWI histories.

Paul Middents

Posts: 7 | Location: Silverdale and Copalis Beach, WA | Registered: March 01, 2010
posted
Paul I did not care for Diego Garcia ether.Being anchored out.And having to use liberty boat's to get to shore for liberty.We had a barge tied to the side of the Old Pro and the roller at the bottom of the brow broke due to the water being rough we put car tire's on the bottom of the brow and the bos'n had us paint white wall's on the side of the tire's Mr.Swenson had a since of humor the tire's worked never had another problem with the brow again it rolled back and forth on those tire's.For you none Navy folk the brow is connected to the ship to the pier or barge in are case so you can walk down to get off the ship.Just one of my stories of Diego Garcia you made me think of that Island again.That barge was great to fish off of.

posted
I found the order in AFO 696 dated 8 Feb 1945. There is evidence that the decision orginated in 1942.

So what is a "C" type watch?

AFO 696

Posts: 58 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: February 28, 2005
posted
Craig,

That is an interesting addition to the puzzle. Do you have access to Publication H.51? That might offer a clue about "C" and "ATP" watches.

Paul

Paul Middents

posted
Unfortuately I have not located a copy of this publication. Another document to add to my wish list.

Posts: 58 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: February 28, 2005
posted
quote:
Chronometer

Here is some information from the British Horological Institute:
http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/watch.htm

"At some time in the 1940s, apparently, the Royal Navy began to grade and mark its watches by reference to standards of the Hydrographic Service. On that scale, if one chooses so to regard the 'HS' system, a 2-day boxed Marine or Survey chronometer (which met the appropriate standard) would be graded 'HS 1', a Watch, Chronometer would be 'HS 2', and so on to 'HS 7' for a naval Watch, Stop."

Posts: 33 | Location: Charleston, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2010