WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Military Markings on Case of West End Wrist Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Can anyone help me to identify the markings on the back of my newly acquired West End Watch Company wrist watch?

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
The ebay listing didn't show a photo of the movement, so I just rolled the dice. I think I hit a homerun! Big Grin Movement was supplied to West End Watch Co. by Thommen. It is pictured on page 120 of the Paulson “Master Key” (Paulson #24804).

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a shot of the dial. Almost perfect except for a little flea bite on the edge between 10 and 11 o'clock.

posted
Nice watch, it´s an early wristwatch issued to the troops in India:
West End
Use the search fuction for West End, you´ll find all you need!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Werner, thanks for the info. In all my research today, I still can't find what the SS stands for on the back of the case. I found that the vertical arrow with the "I" below it stands for India, but still can't nail down the "SS." I tried multiple types of Google searches, but came up with nothing. Any thoughts on what the SS stand for?

posted
To be honest, I don´t know either.
There´s a PDF on the net called "Guide to military timepiece markings", it´s out of the book " Military Timepieces" by Z. M. Weslolowski, where all that is said ; Service wristwatch mark, Indian Army Ca.1930...which can´t be right either, because I have a few old Pocketwatches with those marks on!
and I have older pieces like your own, that were issued before 1930.
Here´s the Link; Guide to military markings

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
An educated guess regarding the "S" and "S S" markings found on British & Commonwealth military watches is that they indicate a watch sold out of service. Maybe to the man to whom it was issued? A little more research may be needed to be sure of this theory, but so far it seems to fit.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I can´t conform with your guess Greg, if the S or SS markings were to indicate the watch was sold out of service, then why have no watches ever appeared with just the "I" for India on?
A little more research is indeed needed!

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Yes, good point Warner. We will keep working on this one.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002