• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info needed: Waltham Khaki Military Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Over the last 25 to 30 years my mother-in-law has put together quite a collection of wrist watches. This is her Waltham Khaki. From what I've seen on the internet I believe it is a WWI era Waltham Khaki Military Wrist Watch. It does not run and is missing the crystal. I think the case may be sterling (it cleans up like silver). It is a stubborn snapback so I have not opened it. I've had the watch for a few days and haven't found much regarding this particular style. I welcome any information. The crown says 'Khaki reg. USA'. Anyone? Thanks! Confused

Posts: 2 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hope this helps. I have one example of the Waltham Khaki. Actually, I believe it more accurate to call these watches Depollier Khaki watches with Waltham movements. Depollier was the exclusive agency for selling Waltham movements in Depollier patented cases up until their contract was terminated in 1923. Sometimes referred to as “trench” watch these watches were targeted to the military soldier. Their popularity increased during WWI as it was handy to have a watch wrapped around your wrist than a pocket watch that needed to be removed from your pocket to read. At first, pocket watches were used, adapting wrist mounted straps to hold them in place. As can be imagined, this could be quite cumbersome owing to the large size of a pocket watch. Even today, that would be a stretch for most folks. These Khaki watches were not military issue but privately purchased. They could be purchased with either radium or non-radium dials and handsets. This Khaki ad is out of a 1917 Flying magazine.

Ad from a 1918 Flying magazine.

Here are some original advertisements for the Depollier Khaki taken out of a 1917 The Outlook magazine.

Theses watches were also targeted to the outdoors enthusiast and Boy Scouts. Ad from a 1918 Boy's Life - Boy Scout magazine.

Here are photos of my own radium dialed Khaki watch from my collection in the original box and with original strap and clasp. When I purchased it, it was missing most of the radium, so I had the rest removed.

RAD = radium dial. All box numbers match the watch numbers, case and movement.

Detailed photos of the sterling silver Depollier clasp.

I have since removed it from the strap and have it on a custom made “Kitchener” type strap and do wear it on occasion but not often due to its small size.

I have another WWI era watch that gets more wear time due to its larger size, and it actually was an issued watch, which the Khaki wasn’t. Here is a comparison photo of the two and you can see the difference.

I have seen another version of the Khaki watch with Waltham movement. This version, which I do not own, has the crown at the 12 o’clock position and the case has lugs that pivot. Other than those two aspects, the watch is identical. Here are some photos of it on original strap and clasp.

Here is another example minus its original strap.

Getting away from the original request for information on the Depollier Khaki series but interesting nonethe less, Depollier went on to design and patent a waterproof case and once again, Waltham movements were utilized although not exclusively. This watch was none as the "Field and Marine" waterproof watch. Some of these were actually an issued watch to the U.S. Army. Here is an ad, taken from a 1918 The Outlook magazine.

Ad from 1918 Air Age Weekly magazine.

You will find Illinois movements in some as well was Waltham. Here are photos of an example with the Illinois movement.

From an article on the Waterproof Watch, 1918 Aerial Age Weekly magazine.

Ad from the same 1918 Aerial Age Weekly magazine.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
posted
I think that you have already presented more information on these than I have. As you say, they are not actual military watches, but rather military 'style' watches sold privately to anyone who wanted a wristwatch to get with the spirit of the wartime national psyche that was going on during the teens and also after the war in the twenties when all of the soldiers had come home with their military pay in their pockets. Some were bought by soldiers to use as personal wrist watches, and many were bought by civilians who just liked the look. I like your example of the Khaki watch especially since you have the original box.

I would take a big grain of salt with the claim in the advertisement that tries to link the case with the military. Ads from that era were not well regulated and you could improve sales with those kinds of claims.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
James and Jim,
Was Elgin also using these "Khaki" cases as I owed an example several years ago. It had the Depollier case and crown with swivel lugs and the commemorative "Pershing" black dial. I wonder now if it was recased at sometime or did Elgin did use the Depollier "Khaki" brand as well. Sorry no photo.

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
Jim Hester Posted June 27, 2011 18:05
I would take a big grain of salt with the claim in the advertisement that tries to link the case with the military. Ads from that era were not well regulated and you could improve sales with those kinds of claims.
Posts: 553 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004

Jim,

I have done research into the Depollier military issued watches and can tell you they were indeed issued.

Here are photos of two such examples.

In addition to the above two watches, I've recorded in my database the serial numbers of 5 other examples. These are very rare and expensive watches but I hope to someday come across one more in my price range.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Michael Payant
IHC Member 1550
Posted June 27, 2011 18:12
James and Jim,
Was Elgin also using these "Khaki" cases as I owed an example several years ago. It had the Depollier case and crown with swivel lugs and the commemorative "Pershing" black dial. I wonder now if it was recased at sometime or did Elgin did use the Depollier "Khaki" brand as well. Sorry no photo.
Posts: 191 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010

Michael,

I have never seen an Elgin Depollier Khaki watch. In fact, all of my research has only determined that Waltham and Illinois were used.

James D.

Correction: I do have some pictures of one example in my database but still never seen mention in any articles or ads.

posted
Great info, Great photos. The watch I have is in a cushion style case. The crown sits at 3 o'clock. I have pictures but can't get them to post. I'm anxious to get them up. It is a facinating watch. The dial on it is almost identical to the one you posted. It started with a rad dial, but like yours the radium was all but completely gone. Again, looking at yours, this one also has a completely smooth back.

Now, I read where Depollier marketed a "utility" watch to the general public. I wonder if that's what this one is . . . At any rate, a watch sporting 'non-explosive unbreakable glass' is an attention grabber.

Looking at your other watch, I have one similiar, black dial, red numbers, hands are shaped the same. It's a Leonard. Again, don't know much about it. I understand why that one gets more wear time. Thanks, all, for your time. I'll be back~

Posts: 2 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Information on posting images...

Click here: How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

In there you will find information about sizing your images and posting them on our site.

Click these other links:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

PICASA - EXCELLENT FREE IMAGE PROGRAM

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Beautiful watches and well documented, nice reply to a vague post. Thanks James.

Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009