WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I just got this today a WW1 ILLINOIS Wristlet Depollier case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

This is what is called a depollier case has a crown that lock's you push the crown down twist and it lock's and untwist it it pop's open to change time and wind it this is so water does not get into case I guess you can call this the the first dive watch.It has a 15 jewel movement.Can any one tell me if it's a 0 size or a 0/3 size movement.Serail no 3333550 made in 1918 I did not know illinios made a military watch until some one I get stuff from gave me a call and showed me this neat watch.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

I like that, it is a Illinois 3/0 Model 3 made 1918, there were 15,030 of the movements made from 1915-1920

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Some cool advertisement's on the depollier case.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Hi,

nice watch, never saw any stamped USA before...it was pretty expensive at the time !!!
rgds

Enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Here are some more photo's.The first is the crown in the lock position.

The second is in the open position so you can wind the watch and change time it is spring loaded when you twist it open the spring pop's it open that is how this case work's to water proof the case.

Side view.

The back of case wish it had the 14k disk with USA and serial no.

A better shot of the dial all most mint.

Another shot of the movement.

It's neat how the case work's on these I did not know how rare these were when I bought this.From other forums I found out a lot about this little gem.

posted
Here is a post I did at another foum another member own's a few of these you will see a brass key that is used to tighten and untighten the bezel and case back I wish I had the key.
http://germanwatch.proboards.c...=display&thread=2875

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's some watch Mike!

The case was really advanced for the time when it was produced. Looks like it was made by the DuBois Watch Case Company, that is the latest reference I recall seeing to this little-known company that produced some really great cases.

Thanks for sharing the watch and the German Military Forum with all of us!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Michael O'Brien
posted
Great watch. I don't know if your case back is gold or not but $45.00 WOW that was a lot of money back then. According to an inflation calculator I found on line
$45.00 in 1918 had about the same buying power as $690.54 in 2009.
"Annual inflation over this period was about 3.05%."

Any idea how much the wrench would go for?

Email me a picture of it and I will keep my eyes open at the watch shows.

Posts: 155 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2009
posted
Michael O'Brien
I can't get your email says I am not a member when I am but if you look at this post here you will see a brass key it's has Depollier waterproof watch patd.us & foreign countries Brooklyn NY USA written on it.Thanks for any help.
Here is the post has a photo of it.
http://germanwatch.proboards.c...=display&thread=2875

Picture of Michael O'Brien
posted
Hi Mike,

I see it and will keep my eyes out. Any idea on the value of it/what you are willing to pay?

Posts: 155 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2009
posted
All I know is that key in the photo was found in a old watch shop I can ask the owner what he paid for it but this watch I stumbled across I was not looking for it I know other forum members of other forums and they are looking and say it's like looking for a needle in a haystack proberly the same with the key.This is just a guess $40 to $60 I realy have no idea what they go for.