• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Benrus Navy Seal watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I took this terrible pic on the way the flea where I sold them. My first purpose was to make a record of them (however feeble)and my second reason was to post them here. I did some research on the internet the night before but not too impressed with the info available so, as sorry as this photo is, it will at least provide something to look at the next time someone does a search for them. I found a couple of pics online but pretty slim pickings IMHO.

The two on the left are examples of the "type II"and the one one the right is a "type I". From what I have learned, the difference is in the dial only. They were produced under gov't contract in small batches of 2-3000(?)a year from the late '60's to the late '70's for use by the Seals/UDT(underwater demolition teams). From the ones I've seen or owned it seems that the ser. nos. start over each year. The month and year are also stated in the nomenclature on the back. The oldest I've owned was from 1969 and was ser. no. #0013. The type I in the pic is from 1975 and is #0009. The type II on the left is from '76 #1800
and the one in the middle is 1978 #2xxx(no. at the office)

Though ruggedly built they are prone to problems in the stem and screw down crown area. The worst problem is the inavailability of crystals (for anywhere near a reasonable cost). Perhaps it was assumed there would be no reason to service them beyond the expected duration of their mission but, seriously, that doesn't sound like a normal gov't contract Smile .

I'm sure some of this info is wrong but I wanted to put it out anyway in the hope that others can
correct and add to it.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Cort,

Thanks for the picture and information.

I like your watches, and the history you have provided. Sad to say, there is not alot of information published about the military watches of the last 30 years, although there is collector interest.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Cort,

there are at least two or three webpages with a good deal of info about these Benrus dive watches - though they may certainly be a bit hard to find Smile I, myself, have small webpage with good photos and all the original U.S. Gov. contracts and Specs in PDF format to look through. Here's my link:

http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/benrustypeiii.htm

There were a number of variations in the Type I and II ; the Type I can be found to have the regular mil-caseback , a caseback marked in a much smaller font (small font caseback), just a serial # - a "Sterile" issue, and those with nothing what so-ever (thought to be NOS cases / watches which likely weren't issued).

The Type II can be found marked Class A (luminous dial and hands) or Class B (no luminous at all on the dial or hands).

The other place to read a bit and see some terrific photos is here:

http://www.50717.com/us/

Hope this is helpful and Kind Regards from N.M.

Billy

Posts: 23 | Location: Gallup, New Mexico U.S.A. | Registered: February 25, 2005
posted
Hi Billy,
You win hands down any prize for reference or reverence of the Benrus seal watch! I suppose Google directed me to commercial sites which, I guess, get more hits as a a rule.

Though I no longer have any of these I wonder if you, or anybody else here, could answer some other questions I was pondering on Saturday night?
-one site I saw stated this was the only gov't issued automatic wind watch. True?
-is there a record available regarding the production of these (re:how many in each year)?
-is my guess regarding the annual roll-over ser.
nos.correct?
-were there records kept of who each ser.no. was assigned to? available?
-The screw down crown design seems prone to "issues". Might this be a result of having to work around the Rolex pat.?

The value of these has improved dramatically over the last few years. I will certainly be keeping my eyes open to find more of them!

Thank you for the great infomation!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Billy has a passion for these and other military watches. Smile

His site for reference is a great addition to the community.

Tim

Posts: 29 | Location: Milton, Ontario in Canada | Registered: May 23, 2006
posted
Hi Cort (and Timothy),

thanks for the kind reply and words about my small webpage !

Was this the only gov't issued automatic wind watch ... - the answer is simply, No - not true.

The other US issued watch which quickly comes to mind that is also an automatic wind movement is the Tornek-Rayville TR-900 dive watch (a much rarer bird than the Type I or II). This was the diver issued just prior to the Type I / II - and also found on my webpage.

I happened to be very lucky and bought my example from the original owner's nephew (inherited after his passing). The original owner was a Force Recon Marine (Sgt) who served 3 tours (over 43 months "in coutry" !) in Vietnam. The watch came on the original strap and the wrist compass the owner paired with the watch during this time ...

I've yet to find any information (including any contract awards or other paper trail) that concludes how many were being issued / produced, nor any info about how the serial #s were being issued. The serial #s certainly weren't assigned in any "common-sense" order (ie. not sequentially).

The crown problem is certainly the biggest problem with the design and the male / female part is likely due to the one piece case design. The crowns / stems aren't terribly hard to find, but at $70 a pop (for the crown *and* stem) it isn't cheap.

The value has most certainly crept up quickly for all Type I / IIs ; typical prices for a Type I are over $1000 and the Type II is quickly catching up.

I'm sorry i can't be more help in regard to many of your questions. I hope my small webpage and the PDF gover. documents are helpful to you and others here.

BTW, next time you find any Benrus divers keep me in mind Smile ! I love my Sterile issue and currently wear it on a custom "Nimitz" strap patterned after rare originals ...

Best Regards from N.M.

Billy

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Very nice image with the Nimitz strap. Do you have a source to purchase these? Also, here is a link to the current issue U.S. military watches. The GSAR is one heck of a watch. www.countycomm.com

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
Hi Matthew,

the Nimitz straps were a project of mine last year - i have a sort of "photo log" on my webpage about the project ; from start to finish. The page certainly isn't very polished and was more used to keep those who were helping me with the project up to date as thing progressed than it was ever intended to be read by fellow collectors. I kept the page up and have now allowed access to everyone due to so many questions i've recieved about the project. Here's the link to the page:

http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/navynimitzstrapproject.htm

I don't have any more straps avaible just now, but have started the second batch - and have the custom made buckles all ready finished by a local jeweler ...

The next step will to be to send the buckles and leather dies / stamps off to Shane D. for him to do his magic leatherwork. The only difference between the second batch and the first will be the lug width will be increased to 20mm instead of 19mm. This additional 1mm will be a big differnce for 20mm lug watches (no gap to be seen) while making little to no difference for fitting to a Benrus Type I / II with the 19mm lug width (just a tad more difficult to fit to the watch, but still quite easy).

Nick @ CoutyComm is a fatastic fella - always ready to help with info or tracking down something ; and the SAR series (SAR, TSAR, GSAR) are all fantastic Mil-watches !

Thanks very much for the kind reply - hope you're having a wonderful week ...

All the Best from N.M.

Billy

posted
Nice work on the strap project. There is much more to it then what I imagined. When your second batch is ready, keep me in mind, I'll take one off your hands. Oh, Nick is super, and a great source of information.

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Fascinating thread, guys! I'm a new guy here, but I've always had an interest in military watches. I'm not a military guy, but I'm a Marine brat and through my Dad developed a big interest in military history and all things related.

Thanks for the information. I think I'm really going to like chapter 185 and the forum.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Welcome Clyde. Chapter 185 is a gold mine for a wide variety of horological interest. Smile