Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Timepieces on the Battleship New Jersey "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This great ship participated in numerous battles in WWII and remained in service, in and out of mothballs after WWII.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
In recent times the New Jersy was refitted with the latest weapons and equipment of war, including anti-missile missiles, Vulcan guns, electronics, a helicopter, and so forth.

In this image is a Vulcan, which is in fact a motorized Gatling gun (I don't know why they chose not to give Dr. Gatling his due?). Anyway, this weapon can shoot with extraordinary speed to distroy incoming missiles.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A shot looking out over the forward gun turrets.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The clocks observed were not WWII vintage, but more recent. All but one of the clocks observed were white-dialed , “U.S. Government” 12 hour Chelseas with black plastic cases. The ship’s bridge had two of these clocks, one on the port and another on the starboard sides. The clocks were mounted on wooden disks which were affixed to welded metal brackets.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Another Chelsea was located in the special armored helmsman’s room, off the bridge.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The helm Chelsea

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Two more of these timepieces were mounted in the chart room. The tour guides I spoke with had not seen any chronometers on board.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Another 12 hour Chelsea was located in the officers mess.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As one can see, the clock was screwed to a metal ring welded to the ship with three metal studs.

All of the clocks but one were wound up and ticking away.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Down in the enlisted mess hall was one white dialed 24 hour Chelsea. This one had a damaged dial and bent hands. The wooden mounting ring was stoutly attached to the hull with a welded bracket.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A Navy search and rescue helicopter was located on deck. The crowded instrument panel had only a few vacant holes to suggest a possible aircraft clock. If it ever had a clock, it was missing.

The New Jersey is now a floating museum in Camden, N.J., across the river from Philadelphia, PA. Retired Navy veterans are on hand to provide tours. These good men have considerable knowledge about the history of the ship and how it was used. For this, they can be forgiven for not being as aware of the esoteric subject of military timepieces.

Best regards,

Greg

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Greg,
Thanks so much for sharing all the nice clock images.

Do you know what type clocks are used today on our new Navy ships?

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
That's a good question. I'll see what I can find out.

The military was extremely concerned with the effects of the electro-magnetic pulse from atomic bomb blasts. These pulses ruin electronic equipment. For this reason, the modern military debated the use of battery powered watches for some time. At this time, though battery powered wrist watches are the norm... so I wonder about clocks?

Best regards,
Greg

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Greg,
Thank you.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
MWR RESPONSE

An update is now possible. I posted this question over on the Broadarrow forum, and a Navy Sub Vet named Jonney posted the following response:

"when I got out of the Navy in '92. I'd be interesed in knowing if some of the newer boats continue to use this model, particularly the Virginia class. On subs, it was the responsibility of the Quartermasters (navigation rate for you Army types) to wind the clocks and ensure they were set at the correct time (Zulu time underway)."

Thanks, Jonney! the Military Watch Resource (MWR) is a great forum, esp. for the more recent stuff.

Best regards,
Greg

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I would like to take a moment to praise the officers and crew of the USS New Jersey for their outstanding gunnery off the coast of Vieques, Puerto Rico in the mid-80's. I was a member of the Air Naval Gunfire Liasion Company (ANGLICO) and had the privledge of calling fire missions from her....well done, I might add, to the fire control folks.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
I served on a frigate in the 80's and have had the privilege of seeing 3 of the 4 Iowa Class in operation, "never saw the Wisconsin"
and had a front row seat to a full broad side from the Iowa of Diego Garcia.

If you have never experienced it, just about impossible to describe except WOW

Posts: 6 | Location: Macon, Georgia in the USA | Registered: August 15, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
In 1981, when I was working on a U.S. Navy contract in San Diego, I went on a below decks tour of the New Jersey, sponsored by the American Society of Naval Engineers, when she was being refitted at Terminal Island.

We went thru when the four 52,000 HP steam turbines were being removed for overhaul, that was most impressive.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
One of the proudest moments of my mid-60's experience manufacturing radar systems was to help support the restoration and upgrade of the Battleship New Jersey's X, C, and S band fire control systems. As I recall we worked together with RCA Moorestown (and later Philadelphia N.S.) to test and produce more stable, accurate, higher power microwave targeting (including incoming and outgoing and projectile calculations) systems. Of course that started in 1966 which was about a year before the ship was officially set to be re-comissioned.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007