Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1943 Hamilton 4992B,.800 Fine Silver Case "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
1)What I have been told was that silver was more likely to be used for Officiers watches.Not sure if this is myth.

2) silver was somewhat strategic as it was used in the windings of magnets used in the extraction of material for the Atom Bombs.

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
posted
Robert,

I'll repeat what I said before, all the contracts for silver cases went to the Navy. They did order some in base metal, but mostly silver. Perhaps they thought it would stand up to salt air better? There is no indication that they were for officers. These were predominately used for air navigation. I believe most pilots were officers, so this may be where this idea comes from. They were also used as comparing watches aboard ship and for any other situation requiring a hack feature and keeping navigation quality time over the period a one day mission.

Don
NAWCC Volunteer

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
I have a 4992B in a .800 silver case. The movement is clean as is the dial but the case back has no marking whatsoever. Other than the lack of markings on case all seems in order. Was the case an example of a special variety, or was i smoothed over? I cannot see any indication of filing or buffing. Any help appreciated. Mike

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Keep in mind that during WW II silver was neither a strategic metal nor a very precious metal. The price per ounce during the first half of the 1940s was just 45 cents an ounce. Up until 1965 silver was still being used to make ordinary US coins - including throughout WW II. Another thing to consider is that these cases are only .800 silver which is about as low a grade of silver alloy that can be made and still have it look and behave like silver. Silver coins are typically .900 silver, and sterling silver that is used in silverware and such is .925 purity for comparison. A company could save a few cents in manufacturing costs by using steel or brass but this would be a relatively small percentage of the overall cost to manufacture a watch case, especially once copper and steel became strategic metals and harder to procure as the war went on. I'm surprised there are not even more watches from these years with .800 silver cases.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
Jim, Thanks for the reply. The watch is definately a 4992B with the GCT dial etc. SN is 4C33789 and it is marked U.S. Govy. on the escape bridge. Case is Keystone and definately military style. I imagine someone "improved" it by buffing it off. No concentric rings. How does this destroy monetary value? Mike

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
My .800 Silver HAS the concentric rings but I always thought that it had been buffed and the rings added after that.

It is not difficult to apply either concentric rings or veritcal lines to a watch-case.

I was told that some folks found the spec-numbers to be "unclassy" and had them buffed off.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Post 1945, the markings came off to sell surplus for a higher price. In those days, a military surplus watch was considered to be good .... but cheap!

It was easy to do, put the cover on a bezel chuck and turn the marks off.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
For most military watch collectors lack of markings would make a significant reduction in the amount they would be willing to pay. For some it would even make it a watch they would simply pass by. The markings on a military watch case and dial are as important to most military watch collectors as the company's markings and serial number on a movement are to regular watch collectors. They tell the story and history of the watch, and confirm its military heritage.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
I'll post some pics

IHC Member 1016
posted
The dial

IHC Member 1016
posted
The movement 4C33789

IHC Member 1016
posted
Case markings

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Glyn. I haven't timed mine but I got it for a good price and it seems to be a runner so I'll live with it. I was unaware there were supposed to be military markings on the case back when I bought it.

Mike

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Regarding markings on back of case I read the following on a site that sells watches-"According to Whitney, as WWII progressed the need to get timepieces to the front lines rapidly led to the abandonment of case marking near the end of the war". I do not have Witney's book but I thought this was an interesting statement.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I skimmed through the section on the 4992B in my copy of Whitney's MILITARY TIMEPIECES. I was unable to find any such statement.

If the seller could provide the page number in Whiteny for this doubtfull information I would be willing to check again. Otherwise, it sounds like the hot-air of someone trying to sell a defaced watch for more than it's worth.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Greg,

The watch that the seller had listed was a Hamilton Model 23. I figured the same policy would probably apply to 4992b's. I emailed the seller asking for the page number in the Whitney book. Will post the number if I get a reply.

Regards,

Bob

posted
For the record- I have .800 silver case serial number K046431 with ordinance markings buffed out (the Hamilton name is barely visible with a loupe). This was obviously done long ago as there are myriad fine scratches over the lettering. The movement is a 1946 era 992B railroad watch. The dial is as usually seen on the 2974B.The case neck is threaded for the traditional American type sleeve and case stem arrangement. The threading was beautifully done and the appropriate Keystone stem and sleeve fit perfectly. This watch is obviously a later custom job but I'm wondering if all these silver cases were threaded in the pendant to take a sleeve. This sleeve and stem would have to have been removed to take the Swiss type detent and stem as found on the 4992B. Any thoughts??

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Greg,

Received email from seller regarding military markings. He said he had read both of Whitney's books about 15 years ago and had remembered seeing the information regarding lack of markings towards the end of the war. He said that it could take a long time to find the page number and could not spare the time to look it up.

Regards,

Bob

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Bob,

In Whitney's book,the section on the Model 23 "Navigation Stopwatch" contains no such statement.

The seller had a chance, and he failed to back up his statement with good authority. I am now left with the oppinion that his statement -attributed to Whitney- is a product of his self-serving imagination.

Best regards,
Greg