Internet Horology Club 185
Chelsea Ship's Bell Case Question

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/999102862

April 09, 2010, 19:18
Ken Snowden
Chelsea Ship's Bell Case Question
I just purshased this clock and would like to get the case polished and laquered. Does anyone have knowledge of someone that could do this for me?

April 11, 2010, 09:58
Tom Brunton
what a lovely clock Ken,what did you have to give for a beauty like that?
April 11, 2010, 17:01
Ken Snowden
I try not to dwell on that part of the story...
August 15, 2010, 17:19
Glenn R. Bowman
I'v found that the Brasso brand of cleaner works quite well on cleaning up tarnished brass. You have to wear rubber gloves and use a lot of elbow grease. When you get the shine you want, clean with a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol. Dry all parts with a hair dryer. Then, any good brand of clear spray laquer can be applied. It goes without saying that removing all parts before you start is the way to proceed. Hope this helps.

Glenn
August 15, 2010, 17:34
Tom Brunton
How do I love your chelsea clock? Let me count the ways!! mostly I love it with the patina of age. A friend of mine ,a shopkeeper in town,and now deceased, had a beautiful ancient bronze laughing Buddha . He had it for decades. One day he phoned and invited me over to see the improvements he had made to the Buddha. What he had done was take it to a brass polishing and lacquering shop and had it polished till it looked like cheap imported brass, all the age patina gone !!!! Sigh, a thing of age and beauty turned into a valueless new looking piece of scrap metal. Frown Roll Eyes