WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Haven "Vamoose"; Official Railway Certified Time "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
Friends,

I just had to share this recent acquisition. It's a New Haven 30-Day spring wound wall clock. I believe it is the "Vamoose" model, Per Tran Duy Ly American Clocks Volume 1, at p. 174 [606]. Cool thing is that it appears to be out of Union Station in Davenport Iowa. I bought it at an antique show at the "UNIDOME" at the University of Northern Iowa campus near Cedar Falls.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 1357
posted
Now that's great find!!!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yes it is!!!!

I'd like to see the movement?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I like it too but it was hurting my neck to look at it. Great score!

Union Station Davenport

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I ask again, does anyone know if the US railroads used any kind of card similar to the one pictured below?

CPR Comparison Card

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1955
posted
Thanks for fixing the orientation,Lorne!

Dave, the next time it goes in for service I'll make sure to get some pics of the movement.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Super Acquisition !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1955
posted
Thanks Roger and Buster. It's my new favorite clock!

IHC Member 1955
posted
Dave, here's an exemplar movement I found from another Vamoose. Perhaps mine is the same or similar?

IHC Member 1955
posted
I can see my movement from a side view through the glass, and from what I can tell the structure looks similar to the photo above. Here's mine from the side view:

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm pretty sure it is the Vamoose. Here's the only picture I can find of that movement.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And here's another. This is most likely a time only clock. (Not time and strike)

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1851
posted
Dual mainsprings for single train. Does a spring drive effect isochronism ?

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I'm not aware that the power supply of a watch or clock is affected by isochronism, but simply the escapement could be.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1955
posted
You're right, Dave--time only.

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Nice clock! I'm surprised to see a spring driven railroad clock. Usually they are weight driven. Those two springs should keep it running awhile.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 1955
posted
Thanks Bill. I've done some research and seen only two other of these spring-driven Vamoose clocks with RR designations. One was Union Station in Denver, and I'm not recalling the other at the moment. Mine looks to be entirely authentic, as far as I can tell anyway.

posted
That is a beauty. I love the mechanical appeal of a clock more than the wood it in in. Interesting or beautiful is fine, but it has to have a good heart. Grads on the find.

Posts: 8 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: May 13, 2016