• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Something Different, The Boston Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
, by Joseph T. Collins (created on )Gallery | Comments 
The Boston Clock Co. evolved from the Harvard Clock Co. and was the forerunner of the Chelsea Clock Co. It was founded in 1884 and failed in 1894. I have seen two figures as to how many clocks that was produced. One source estimated 15,000 while another estimated 18,000. In the overall scheme of things not many! Probably the reason for failure!
Boston clocks were somewhat different from the other New England clocks of the time in that they had a platform escapement and were coaxially wound, one shaft winding both time and strike mainsprings. According to one account the use of a single winding arbor was brought about by a large inventory of porcelain/enamel dials that were made for time only clocks. For whatever the reason it makes repairing them interesting.
The escapement was supposedly provided by Waltham Watch Co. which was in the area. I'm not sure of the veracity of that theory but the balance cock and the pallet cock are engraved in the manner associated with watches. There is no other engraving on the movement.

I have had this Boston, slate cased, mantle clock, serial # 3301, since the early 70s. It is one of my favorites. It weighs 40 pounds and, as I recall, I paid a dollar a pound for it. ($40)
During winding operations it became apparent that the mainsprings were dirty. The springs would also 'slap' as they unwound. Since the springs could be serviced without separating the plates I decided to clean and lubricate them.
Problem! How do you let down the springs when turning the arbor in either direction results in them being wound up?
I consulted several sources and finally found that these clocks had two clicks for each spring. One click, for each spring, was attached to a collar mounted to the winding stem. This click actually drove the winding arbor in the spring via the ratchet wheel. The other click was fixed to the plate and acted as the holding click, similar to the common type.
The movable clicks on the center plate are somewhat unusual in that they each have two click springs. One keeps the click engaged with the ratchet wheel for winding and the other keeps the click clear of the ratchet during letdown operations.
The fixed clicks only have one spring each but it is designed to allow the click to disengage the spring after rotating it about 45 degrees.
In order to let the springs down on the time spring the winding (moving) click on the strike spring is lifted clear of its ratchet. The winding stem is turned slightly so the holding (fixed) click can be disengaged. This will allow the spring to unwind. Once the spring is unwound lift the winding click clear of its ratchet also. Re-engage the winding click on the strike spring and turn the stem far enough to disengage the fixed click. Let the spring down and disengage the winding click.
You are now ready to start removing parts.
Now tell me, wasn't that easy?
The attached pictures will hopefully help in understanding this clock.

Joe

The slideshow requires Flash Player 9.0.124 or higher.
Please click here to install it.

Edit Album   Add Photo