Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

NEED, JUSTIFY THE MEANS?. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi all, Word got around I fixed the Pub' Clock and I was asked by a customer to take a look at his Mum's Clock , It had dropped a weight again, apparently this was a near annual event., and Dad has died this last year who knew how to get it going again. The clock is a 20year old Grandfather or More correctly a Longcase Clock. I has Brass Cased weights on chains and the Tie Rod, Hook and Nut that ties the brass tube and two brass discs surrounding the lead weight had come unscrewed again. This was on the Going Train as the clock is run on Silent Mode always, I did the "Unthinkable", but it won't happen again, I put a spot of SUPER_GLUE on the Hookand Nut. Any Comments?. I also put a scrunched up blanket in the base of the clock to protect the weights in the event of anymore falls for whatever reason. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
There is a product in the US called Loc-Tite which I have used on clock hand nuts when the nut unscrews itself from the motion of the hands. I think it isn't as permanent as the super glues. I can't understand how the nut gets loose since it turns clockwise to tighten and the hands go in a clockwise motion.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ged,
I have heard of the weight shells coming apart. I'm not sure how that happens. Perhaps there are vibrations in the house that, over time, contribute to it. It could also be how they raise the weight. If they handle the weight shell, instead of just pullng the chain, then something in how it was done could be the culprit. There is frequent damage from falling weights (not as in your case with the weight shell coming apart.)that have come off the wheel because they are lifted by hand when the chain is pulled.

As for the repair, super glue will work and is invisible, and not irreversable. As John mentioned, something like Loc-Tite would do well also, and may be a bit easier to undo if needed. I think you found a very acceptable solution.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002