Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My new Seth Thomas regulator No.6 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
I just bought this Seth Thomas No. 6 Regulator. It has a nickel engraved pendulem and weight as well as dial surround. My question is value. Has anyone seen one of these sell at auction or show? Thank you in advance.

Posts: 427 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: April 07, 2003
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
pic 2

Posts: 427 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: April 07, 2003
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
pic 3

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
VERY NICE!!!!!

Great clock Jim! Tran's 2004 price guide put it at $4,500.00.

beautiful clock!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here's the same case model with a calendar in it. It has a short pendulum hanging in front of the movement with an oval hole in the pendulum to allow it to swing with the hand shaft inside the hole. The weight hangs on the right side and is compounded; the cord goes from the winding arbor up to the top of the case, around a pulley in the top, down to another pulley which hooks into the weight and then back up to dead head at the top of the case. The weight is a thin rectangular block of cast iron and is quite heavy.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That's a beauty. I had not seen the calendar version except in the books. It is very sharp! thanks for posting that one.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Jim,
That is one finnnneeee clock.

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Both clocks are just absolutely fantastic.

The finish on Jim's is probably more in keeping with today's tastes, but I love them both.

Ship either or both to Ohio whenever you tire of them... Big Grin

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
Thanks I just picked it up and have a few fine clocks but probably will sell or trade it. There is a collector here in my town with a minute repeater pw 18k hc we will see.

posted
John Arrowood,

I have a double dial like your Seth Thomas above. Mine does not have the correct pendulum, or rod. Can you please send me some dimensions, and images of what I should have? Thank you.

Steve

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Yeah, my clock isn't bright and shiny. I prefer the way it looks now; we all know how the Antiques Road Show twins frequently expound on the desirability of maintaining the original finish. This one is on an inside wall where it isn't exposed to bright natural light which fades and bleaches walnut or cherry.
Now for Steve's request:

This is going to take some time.
Here's a picture of the pendulum assembly on the clock. It would take a very talented craftsman to duplicate the complete pendulum in my opinion.
Overall length from the stud in the front plate to the end of the threaded rod for regulation is 15 1/2 inches.

posted
The pendulum off the clock

posted
Here's the oval keystone part. It's made from 1/32 inch brass. It's 3 inches in total length including 7/8 inch which was inserted in a slot in the wood piece and riveted. It is 1 5/8 inches wide at the widest part. The top portion is 1/2 inch wide. The rim of the oval part is 1/4 inch wide and the hole is 1 3/16 inches wide and 5/8 inch high. The slot for the end of the verge wire is 3/8 inch. The suspension spring has been replaced with a short piece of a kitchen/shelf clock suspension rod.

posted
Moving on down the pendulum:
the upper piece of wood is 5 5/8 inches long and 1/2 inch wide and 9/32 inch thick. There are slots in each end for the brass material to be inserted and riveted. The bob is 3 3/4 inches wide nickel plated metal over lead. The lower portion of wood is 4 1/2 inches long, with the same width and thickness of the top piece. The threaded rod for the rating nut is 1 5/8 inches long with at least 1/4 inch inserted into the wood. The rivet attaching the two pieces is 1/4 inch from the bottom end of the stick. The hook is 1 7/8 inches in total with 1/2 inch inserted into the wood part. The hook is 3/8 inch wide.

posted
Here's a back view of the complete pendulum assemby.

posted
John,
You are an ace. I am sure from these images and dimensions, I can get mine closer to original. The hard part might well be finding an engine turned bob. I do appreciate your help.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003