Reply to Post

Dads gingerbread "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2030
posted
Hi all
We have a Seth Thomas date unknown.
They prolly made a million of em .
This was my dads from west va.
Any info, there was a replacement movement.
Thanks
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Back Henshaw replacement?
?

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Mike What is the problem with the movement that is in it? Could you shoot a pic without the dial Thanks Wayne.

Posts: 241 | Location: Ponca City, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: May 19, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
Runs well and chimes on time.
Wayne, the movement says Waterbury 5 3/8?
Really enjoy these old tickers, mainly was curiuos of the production dates.
1890-1920?
Dad had 8 clocks on his mantle, this is the one I got Smile
It is not a Seth, I was in error.
Thanks
Mike

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Clock looks all original to me including the movement. I just cleaned a clock yesterday exactly like it. Except for the model name. I imagine they did make a million of them

Waterbury Henshaw

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
Thanks Dave.
That is a neat site.
What will the interweb be like in 10years Confused

posted
Mike I think Dave said it all. That is a nice clock as Waterbury made a variety of those kind of clocks.Thanks for the pic of the movement Wayne

Posts: 241 | Location: Ponca City, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: May 19, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
These clocks were called Kitchen Clocks and were in every home in America from 1900-1920. They were cheap and could be afforded by most everyone.

My Dad & Mom who owned a coin & antique shop ordered 500 of these from out of Canada during the 1960's. They arrived in giant heavy duty cardboard cartons that probably held 50 each. The majority of the clocks had been painted with multiple coats of bright enamel paints and we had to strip each coat off with harsh chemicals. Most had two to three different colors of enamel paint that the new owner would have applied over the existing coat of enamel when it changed hands. It took a entire summer to strip and refinish, clean and oil the movements, change a spring etc. I never wanted to see another kitchen clock !! Generally these were all made of beautiful grained oak woods.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Great story Buster, I can't imagine working on that many. I did this Seth T. "Seattle" about 2 years ago, and that's enough for me.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
That is a neat story Buster , I have a couple from my mother side . that alarm will get you up !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Enjoyed hearing about your mom and dads shop Buster. Really good looking Seth Thomas Dave . I also have been down that road before and it takes a lot a work to get all the paint off

IHC Member 2030
posted
It looks like $6 in 1889 is about $150 today
Nothin fancy but you bet they were proud owners of the most complicated technology in the House.

Picture of Mark Clark
posted
Very cool guys..
I grew up with a Dad that collected many, many clocks. Mantle, Kitchen, Wall, GrandFather, Regulator. I have 5 Mantle/Kitchen clocks of various eras, one beautiful “Regulator” Wall Mount clock, and 2 GrandFather Clocks. Actually 2 Wall Mount, the other (besides the Regulator) is out in the House.

Posts: 404 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: October 01, 2013