Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lost his hand to a Clock!! Lancaster PA 1786 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I'm sure you guys know about this, but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

I love finding things like this. OK maybe not about lost hands, but different kinds of clock and watch history.

(1) EBERMAN, JOHN, was a clock-maker of Lancaster, and the manufacturer of the first town clock in Lancaster, and which is yet in existence.

Footnote (1) The old town clock was made and put up by John Eberman in the old court House, in 1786, at a cost of 550 lbs. About the year 1796 a new steeple was added to the building, the clock taken down and new hands put thereon, which were considerably larger than the old ones, improvements much commended at the time. It was on this occasion that Jacob Eberman, son of John Eberman, lost his hand. The clock was put up on a cold day of February, and his hand being numbed with the cold, was accidentally caught between the large wheel and pinion when the works were in motion, and the fingers literally ground off.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Memo to self: no tower clock work in the winter.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
LOLOLOLOL

Memo to self: Never get close to a Tower Clock!!!

Tom, You got that right.

I figure this is a later model of clock, and not the original, but it is the Lancaster Pa Courthouse clock of today. Bet this one is even harder to care for.

Considering that the last one was in a steeple, most likely of wood, I wonder where it went?

Love to find it!

Sheila

Lancaster Clockweb

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Sheila,
Did you see this? Click here. Not the same one though.

Andy Big Grin

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002