• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Harrison Blueprints Or Drawings? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Someone asked me today if I knew where he could obtain drawings, or prints, of John Harrison's #1, #2, #3, or #4. He said he'd like to build one. He does have the ability.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Steve, I have heard talk of the plans, but have never seen them, or known anyone that had them. I will ask around and post if I get any good results.

This may get you started:
[PDF] John Harrison

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
... By 1728 John Harrison had drafted designs for an accurate sea clock ... an ex officio member of the Board, Harrison was sent to discuss his plans with George ...
www.iop.org/EJ/article/0031-9120/8/2/308/pev8i2p102.pdf - Similar pages

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your efforts. This friend has read every article he could find. Somewhere he saw something with a drawing of that clock, or plans to build it. He seemed to think that there was a huge uproar over making those drawings public, but at least one set is out there.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I think there is a reprint of an older book that has just come out. It may have plans in it.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
If you can find the name of the book, I would sure appreciate it Andy.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Steve,
I haven't seen the book, but the title is "Marine Chronometer: Its History And Developments" by Rupert T. Gould. This edition will be available in April. I don't know what is shown in the book.

Rupert book on Amazon

Here is an original copy Andy Dervin listed on this site for sale back in November. Click here.

Rupert Gould was the man who restored some of the Harrison clocks. If you haven't seen "Longitude", it is very interesting! Click here.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002