Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1945 Smith 8 Day Wall Clock (War Room?) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Have this 1945 Wall clock...guy wants to buy it and do not know what a fair price would be...

Can anybody here tell me what this is and approx what it is worth?

I've had it for years, heard it called a war room clock? It winds sets and runs, havent timed it but looks to be all there...Clock Experts?
Any help appreciated....

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
well it certainly has the Broad Arrow symbol of the British military forces so there lies the proof as to it's history and purpose in life LOL Smile As well it has a magnificent mottled Bakelite case way wartimish and too cool for sure !!! Big Grin Who knows ,it could have come out of a Hawker Hurricane,Supermarine Spitfire , or Lancaster Bomber ready Room ,perhaps the last glance at the time taken by Wing Commander Guy Gibson ,before he said "Gentlemen, To your planes ," , as 617 Squadron RAF,(the Dam Busters) headed for fire and brimstone , death and glory ,in the flak filled sky over the Mohne,Eder,and Sorpe Dams in the Ruhr industrial heartland of Germany,who knows ??? Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Tom; Any guess as to what it's worth?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
never had one or saw one sold but I wish it was mine. Wink I had uncles in the RAF during the war,all of whom survived,though three in the navy were lost at sea through enemy action. Found this identical clock on eBay,with one absolutely crucial difference, the defence dept.markings Eek

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-...Clocks#ht_500wt_1156

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
You've been very helpful! Maybe I'll just keep for awhile and give you first dibs on it, sounds like you'll appreciate it for what it is.

I did have it cleaned in 2002 or 2003 I think, just never hung it. I think I will now.

It's timing still on same minute after about 5 hrs now, so it's pretty close

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I think $225-$250 ,as I think it is at least as nicely marked as this sold one which went for $216,though it was marked on the face,yours on the back Confused

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAP...em&item=350410636371

posted
I think our own member here Werner Rosier might know, he seems to collect and have a vast knowledge of the “Broad arrow” marked timepieces.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Here´s the same clock, without the broad arrow.
Smiths Civillian

The mechanical 8 day clock is rarer than the electical 8 day, both were in a Bakalite housing.
If you go to ebay.uk and enter smiths clock, you will find a few to compare.

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks Werner!

Tom; I noticed on the clock you referenced, it is stamped "Made in Great Britain" whereas mine is stamped "Made in England".

Does this give us a clue as to age? Was "England" called "Great Britain" in WW2?

I'm thinkin the one you referenced is indeed a Broadarrow, but maybe a later one?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com