Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question of the Week "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,

I ran across this number while doing some reading over the weekend and thought it would be fun to post this question.

'What is this number and how is it used?'

For those that know just leave an I Know message. I will post the answer and explaination next Monday.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
As promised here is the answer to the question.
The number, 140904, is the constant used to find the length of a pendulum needed once the beats per minute (BPM) has been determined by wheel and pinion count. Square the BPM and divide 140904 by the result. This gives the theoretical length of a pendulum for that clock. The info comes from 'Practical Clock Repair' by Donald de Carle.
This constant is for the latitude of London.
In 'Clock Repair Basics' by Steven Conover the number 141120 is used. This number, I would think, is the number that works best in Steve's location due to differences in gravity.

Due to the very low number of viewers I am convinced that 'Question of the Week' is not well received. For that reason this is the first, last and only one I intend to post.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
Joe-

I think its a great idea... I think you just stumped us all.

Justin

Posts: 44 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: February 11, 2005
posted
Joe, i just saw the question now.
Thanks for posting it, i was stumped on this one as i am others were.Maybe others did not see it till the answer was posted. Smile Cool

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I did not see the post either...not sure why...I've spent a lot of time here lately.

I did not know the answer.

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
..seems like a good idea Joe...I know I for one would like to see more...thanks...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Morning Joe:
I thought your post a great idea.A lot better than your limericks.The only reason I recognized that constant was because I'm reading The Best Of J.E. Coleman and its referenced in there about twenty five times and I just happened to remember it.I wish I had enough smarts to remember the whole formula off the top off my head but at this point in my life I have a tough enough time remembering where I put my car keys.
Keep em coming Joe,I believe you'll get a better reception on the next post.I enjoyed it.
Sincerely,Bob F.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Joe, I too would encourage you to continue this thread. The only thing I would add is don't have any expectation that I personally would be able to answer any questions.

I'm not sure who said it, "that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing", but with that in mind, there are many days that I feel that I'm the most dangerous person on the planet!

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Andy, Does this # difference make your pendulum shorter or longer?. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003