WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

French Morbier with alarm function - Dave T is bringing her back to life "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
1860'ish Morbier

Barn auction find

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Personalized dial, nice original hands

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
The pulley at the bottom right with the verge style crown is a weight driven pulley that, when released by the alarm mechanism, drops weights to the floor and kicks wings on that vertical rod to oscillate a light rod in to the 4" steel bell atop the clock.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Escapement

IHC Member 1736
posted
I have no idea what the purpose of the ball on the arm is all about

IHC Member 1736
posted
Two hammers. One is the repeater or prayer hammer and the other is for the alarm.

posted
Paul, if you Google Morbier movement you can find many photos and a lot of information on these clocks. They were made in a region in eastern France for about 250 years as a cottage industry. The movements were originally sold from village to village by clock peddlers who often carried them on their backs. The cases and weights were supplied by the buyers.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Cool, considering my heritage is French/French Canadian

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Show us a picture of the pendulum!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Dave,

The mystery has been solved. This clock has no pendulum and no weights with it.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Check out this link to a restored clock with a bit of history mixed in.

http://www.rexophone.com/?p=1109

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Cool! I can't wait to see it.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
This Morbier went to Dave at cost in appreciation for his sage advise in coaching me through my first live clock auction.

Dave has the movement cleaned up an in running order. He was able to locate a pair of weights and a pendulum he believes to be correct/true to the estimated 1860 vintage on this model.

Now to get the timing/regulation dialed in and find a pair of weights to run the alarm function.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Dave,

What does the polished brass ball on the arm in the upper right do?

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
That's the strike release.
Best answer I can give you is that it's just a counterweight to balance the portion of the mechanism.
As the time approaches the hour this assembly raises upward and then at the hour and half hour it drops, to activate the strike.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Still fine tuning the old clock. Not sure yet what I'll do about a shelf bracket.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1892
posted
Congratulations Dave. That is a wonderful looking clock. I think you have done a great restoration.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013