• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Self-loosening hand nuts "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone have an explanation for the self-loosening situation with hand nuts? The nut tightens by turning it clock-wise and the hands turn in the same direction, so the nut should stay tight. I have noticed this in some modern German movements I have. What weird law of Mechanics applies here? The only way I could stop one from loosening itself each week after it was wound up was to spply some LocTite; that kept the nut in place.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I'm a clock novice, but as a mechanical engineer, I know something about mechanical fasteners. As the hands are turned thru the rotation of the center post, in a series of short clockwise jerks from the movement, the inertial of the hand nut will tend to resist each of those movements with a counter-clockwise reaction, which will loosen it in time.

Another way of locking that nut would be to tighten down a second nut on top of it. That will prevent it from loosening by acting as a mechanical lock.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed,
Thanks! That is a very good explanation.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Usually a hand washer will do the trick.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003