Internet Horology Club 185
Seth-Thomas Long Drop Clock Help Needed

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/913100961

September 28, 2009, 21:21
Ken Knight
Seth-Thomas Long Drop Clock Help Needed
I just acquired this Seth-Thomas long drop, time only, clock for restoration.

Can anyone help me date it, and also point me to some information about the movement? It is a large movement mounted on a iron bracket.

It is also a pain to work on as the pendulum is mounted to the back of the clock and I ended up removing the whole back and mounted it on my clock stand. (See the next picture) Is there a better way?

Thanks,

September 28, 2009, 21:23
Ken Knight
Here is the movement

September 29, 2009, 15:26
Bill Carlson
Hi,
This information is from the SETH THOMAS clock and movements book by Tran Duy Ly. The movement looks to be a # 86 and the clock is called "WORLD"
As to how to do it a better way, is a good question. What ever works I think.!! I'll see if I can get a couple pictures on here of the movement and description.

Bill Carlson
September 29, 2009, 15:27
Bill Carlson
2 the movement with a short drop..

Bill Carlson
October 04, 2009, 09:14
Eddie G. Hines
GREETINGS KEN, I JUST RETURNED FROM A 2 WK. VACATION IN MONTREAL AND NOTICED YOUR POST. WHAT A NICE CLOCK YOU HAVE. THE MOVEMENT LOOKS VERY CLEAN AND THE CASE HAS A NICE AGED LOOK. WHAT I HAVE FOUND WITH THESE S.T. MOVEMENTS IS THAT THE PALLETS USUALLY HAVE DEEP GRUVES IN THE PALLET FACE AND THE ESCAPE WHEEL FRONT PIVOT HOLE IS USUALLY WORN AND NEEDS A BUSHING. AS FOR WORKING ON THE MOVEMENT IT IS NO PROBLEM BUT YOU MUST REINSTALL THE BACK IN THE CASE LEAVEING THE DIAL OFF TO ADJUST THE CRUTCH. IF YOU REMOVE THE GRUVES IN THE PALLET FACE YOU WILL HAVE TO RESET THE ESCAPEMENT DEPTH CONSEQUENTLY IF TO MUCH MATERIAL IS REMOVED YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT ADJUSTED PROPERLY BECAUSE THE ANCHOR IS NO LONGER CORRECT AND IT CANNOT BE BENT BACK TO THE CORRECT DIMENSION, IT IS BETTER TO SOLDER A SMALL PIECE OF MAINSPRING MATERIAL TO EACH SIDE AND YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD SURFACE TO WORK WITH. TAKE CARE. EDDIE