Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"French Chimney Clock" Question... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

We receive a lot of questions, hopefully someone can help this nice lady from Australia...

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Isabel ------- and I live in Australia.

I desperatly need your help. I would like to know about a 19th Century French Chimney Clock from ca. 1836 with a figure on top that it is thought to be Marie Taglioni.

Do you know anything about this fantastic clock or if you could tell me were I can find some information.

Much appreciate your time and help!

Kind regards,

Isabel

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
There are a couple of chimney clocks at this site. Not much info though. I will keep looking.
Joe

http://clock.angarsk.ru/cgi-bin/clinclud.pl?english/col/fr2&clfr_e#

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Excellent beginning Joe!

Let's see what else you and others might turn up.

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
French clocks are not my strong suite, but I will see what I can find out. Pictures would help.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
After looking at the pictures on the Russian site, I gather that "French chimney clocks" is another term for French mantel clocks. If that is the case, there are thousands and thousands of them out there, with cases and decoration varying from plated/painted pot metal, to stone, brass, and bronze, and other materials. I rember that in the mid-1960's that Clement's Antiques in Chattanooga had them by the truck load. The ordinary black stone or white agate models were around $15.00 each.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
The Name CHIMNEY is not generally used to describe this type of clock in England. They are very common and readily available. The movements are very well made and usually have round plates. I have one in my small collection, I paid around $4 in auction for it in the late 60s. They are in my opinion greatly underated ,but theres just too many of them around. FRENCH MANTEL is what they are called here.
I had a most elaborate and ornate French Clock on a wooden base with Porcelain Panels and Gilt metal decoration it also had two matching decorative vases all 3 items were under Square Glass Domes,I think I paid around £1500 for the set, this was in the early 1990s ,I doubled my investment 5 years later when I had the IRS after me. I'll try and find 'Photo of Set. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Everyone,

We sent Isabel a link to our discussion and she has been following along.

I agree with Ged this looks like a rather majestic mantel clock.

Below, you'll see an image of the clock she is seeking.

All your help is very greatly appreciated!