Internet Horology Club 185
American Mantle Clock Information (Seth Thomas Admantine Sparta) Wanted

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/906100523

August 09, 2010, 06:44
Francis Bowman
American Mantle Clock Information (Seth Thomas Admantine Sparta) Wanted
Can some one fill me in on this mantle clock, the dails says "Wat & Jay Clock Manufactures Usa" I am looking to buy it too restore it, so need some info quick. As i have never bought clocks to collect if this some thing of value?

August 09, 2010, 10:52
Tom Brunton
hi francis; can you post a picture of the signature or the label. As a rule this type of mantle clock has lost popularity,I have 2 I'm trying to sell for $75 each with no success,but I have never heard of that manufacturer ,nor is there a record of them,pictures would help a lot, regards,Tom
August 09, 2010, 18:02
Francis Bowman
Hi Tom thanks for your input I am trying to get an closer photo of the face as it has the name of the makers on it, may be a day or so. thanks francis
August 09, 2010, 20:36
Francis Bowman
Have just found out that it is Seth Thomas Admantine Sparta mantle clock 1815 make. Is this possible ? which will make the price soar thru the roof.
August 12, 2010, 23:55
Bill Carlson
Hi Francis,

The answer to the "thru the roof" is probably NOPE! These type of mantel clocks are very common. ST is a good movement though. It looks like a nice clock!

Bill Carlson
August 13, 2010, 01:38
Tom Brunton
Seth Thomas Adamantine label. Adamantine was an early plastic finish applied to the wood, very durable ,usually with wood grain or marble type stone patterns!

August 13, 2010, 01:41
Tom Brunton
A beautiful Seth Thomas Rosewood Adamantine clock I would sell for $275 to anyone who wants it!!! Absolutely great condition but likely needs cleaned and oiled,and it will be some day if I get to it LOL Big Grin .

August 14, 2010, 06:05
Francis Bowman
Thank you Tom and Bill for that information. Toms little baby seem to be in better condition that the one i have my eye on Plus it is a 3 pillar. The other doesnt have any paper work to show that it is what they are claiming it is. and the makers mark doesnt match up so while i do not know much about the wonderful world of Clock I will leave to to some one else to buy and retore it.... Thanks Francis " Sorry Tom could not afford your baby at the moment. We are expecting second child in December. so extra funds have to go there......
August 14, 2010, 09:12
Tom Brunton
You are welcome Francis; The Adamantines sell for far more than the normal mantle clocks which as I said I have several I'd be happy to get $75 each for. They are pretty much like the one you were looking at. Good luck with the new baby!!! My grandchildren have been visiting but are tomorrow headed home,sigh!!!