Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Large dial looking for a home. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I came across this dial in an architectural salvage store. Nice marble (I think) dial. It must be at least six feet tall (notice the skiis). It is complete with hands! If you have the clock this is missing from, then this is your lucky day! A mere $3,500 will put it back where it belongs!

Interesting dial, I couldn't find out any of the history on it. Any ideas what the square hole above the hands would be for?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
Tom, That large square hole is for the cuckoo door

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ha Ha Ha! I thought the same thing, but didn't want to say it!! Big Grin

It is large enough to be the front of a small stand. You could sell hot dogs through the opening! Maybe they could be "Watch Dogs" Roll Eyes

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Ok, I don't want to sound stupid but that door has the minute hand right over it, how would the door open on the hour?

Rick

Posts: 93 | Location: Frisco, Texas in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Rick,
the cuckoo references were tounge in cheek. Any thoughts on what it might really be for?

Tom

posted
No clue, a big winding arbor? Smile

Posts: 93 | Location: Frisco, Texas in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2006
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I am on a really sssslllllooooowwww computer right now or I would search for it, but a year or so ago, I posted a picture here of a tower clock with a door like that. It shows the repairman's arm sticking out. I would guess if it was high up in the air, any repairs/cleaning/setting could be done from the door.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I'm not sure the search is working right. I found this by going through a lot of old messages:

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy, I immediately thought of your picture when i first saw the dial. I couldn't find it in a search, but I am glad you did. One would think therre must have been a covering over the opening to keep the elements, birds etc out.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
In looking through your thread of public clocks, I don't recall seeing any of them with a big hole in the dial.

Tom

posted
Back in the mid-70s, I was in the tower of Arlington St. Church in Boston with the custodian who wound the clock, then looked out a door in each dial to check the clock's time and reset it. I'd guess this is the same deal.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005