Internet Horology Club 185
Seth Thomas Ship's Clock. Opinions Please

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/8813973977

July 28, 2013, 02:31
Mike Hodge
Seth Thomas Ship's Clock. Opinions Please
I just bought this Seth off the 'Bay and it was advertised as needing work. He said it gained 20 min per day. Upon inspection, the hairspring looked dirty/gummed-up. I cleaned the clock, the platform escapement, and put the regulator in the center. For the past 30 or so hours it has kept good, accurate time.

July 28, 2013, 02:32
Mike Hodge
The case is bakelite and the clock was manufactured in 1943. I like it, and would like your comments good or bad. Paid $104 plus shipping.

July 28, 2013, 02:45
Tom Brunton
very good buy !!! Wink I wish it could tell all the tales it knows and describe the action it saw Big Grin
July 28, 2013, 15:48
Mike Hodge
Yes, even to know what ship it was on would be nice. I believe this should have a sweep seconds hand but not sure. Anyone know?
July 28, 2013, 17:11
Peter Kaszubski
nice one again Mike
can you post picture of the movement.
July 28, 2013, 19:57
Mike Hodge
The movement is small compared to the dial. It resembles a Chelsea and I believe they were made to US specs for the war so both would be similar. It is a time only and sure seems to keep it well. It was made in 1943.

August 01, 2013, 19:43
Dave Turner
Mike,
Ran across this while perusing ebay.
Vintage Manfred Trauring Seth Thomas U S Navy Mechanical Boat Ship Deck Clocks

Thought you might be interested.

Dave Turner
August 02, 2013, 01:21
Mike Hodge
Thanks Dave. I had seen that but appreciate the notice.
November 28, 2013, 14:28
Robert Letourneau
Mike, that's a really nice clock, in great shape...it sure would look good over here on Buzzards Bay Big Grin
November 28, 2013, 22:46
Bruce Byrd
I have a nice Seth Thomas which has the german movement. It is set up with the ship bell system. It took me awhile to get used to the eight bells chiming. I was an army dog sleeping in foxholes at night.. Not hot bunking with my buddies Wink

Sorry navy guys… I had to

Bruce Byrd
November 29, 2013, 08:47
Dave Turner
That's why I joined the Navy, Bruce,
Who needs snakes crawling in bed with them! Smile
I've got clocks chiming all over the house and I don't even hear them at night.
Let's see a picture of that Seth.

Dave Turner
November 29, 2013, 21:01
Bruce Byrd
If they crawled into my foxhole, I would bite their head off and drink the blood. I would then use the skins to camouflage my foxhole.. (sorry, i have been drinking some apple pie moonshine).. When I get home I will take a couple photos.

Bruce Byrd
November 30, 2013, 16:52
Michael Weiford
Very nice Ships clock Mike. I agree with you that it may very well have a sweep second hand.
You got a great buy on the clock as it all looks in great condition. Ships clocks seem to be increasing in value as time goes by.
I was luck enough to find a 1921 Seth Thomas Celtic Ships Bell clock a couple years ago. It is unmessed with and keeps amost perfect time. It also confuses visitors with the Ships Bell chime array. Smile

1921 S.T. Celtic Ships Bell Clock

November 30, 2013, 16:54
Michael Weiford
Here is a close up of the dial lettering and lever.

Celtic lever adjustment

November 30, 2013, 16:55
Michael Weiford
And the original 115B movement.

Celtic 115B

December 01, 2013, 15:50
Tom Brunton
one of my 2 Seth Thomas Montauk ships clocks,both since given to my children,both strike ships bells Wink I had my son send me a better picture

December 01, 2013, 21:34
Michael Weiford
WOW!! The Montauk is a beautiful clock. I've not been lucky enough to run across one, obviously because you have them all Smile.
As far as the sweep second hand is concerned, I was refering to Mike Hodge's military ships clock. I believe that the early military lever ships chronometers had a seconds sub-dial and the later ones had a sweep second hand. As far as I know, and can find in Tran Duy Ly, none of the civilian mantel type ships clocks, such as ours, did.
December 04, 2013, 23:57
Mike Hodge
That Seth did have a sweep second hand that was missing. I recently sold it but am envious of Tom's. The one I pictured here is a time only, no bells.
December 08, 2013, 09:40
Tom Brunton
Montauk #2 bronze signature Darrot

December 08, 2013, 12:27
Dave Turner
A fine clock!

Dave Turner