Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Adamantine "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I bought my first Adamantine clock today. It is a Seth Thomas. Can anyone tell me how to date the clock or the movement? I had the movement apart giving it a much needed bath but did not see any type of date stamp.. There is a label on the back with a patent date.. Any help would be appreciated

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
Seth Thomas made many clocks with adamantine finish. I know they started as early as 1894 and continued at least as far as 1910. I will try to get some more specific information. A picture would help with dating.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,

The U.S. Patent #232,037 assigned to the Seth Thomas Clock Company in late 1881. Seth Thomas issued their first trade catalogue containing Adamantine clocks in 1883. Since the Seth Thomas Clock Company held the exclusive rights to the celluloid veneer process, no other clock company could use it.

Adamantine is a descriptive word used by Seth Thomas as a marketing name. Adamantine means "hard as steel, unbreakable, unyeilding, firm" and the name well fit the celluloid product.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Here it is a link for a website which provides some information on Adamantine Clocks history, not much more to what Tom provided altough I find interesting that the original stamped date was written backwards...

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thank you all for the valuable information. I am a big pocket watch nut but have recently found clocks..Little easier to work on Smile

I found the date stamp on the bottom of the clock after reviewing that very interesting Seth Thomas site. The date code is 9981, when deciphered is 1899...

I found it at a local antique store on the floor next to an old pair of tin snips and an old fire axe. The works were filthy!! looks like they had used 30 weight motor oil on the pivots and everything else that moved. Everything is original including the adjustable pendulum. Not a bad find Smile

Seth Thomas pic

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
That is a very sharp looking black mantel. You have a very nice find!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Bruce,
Can you comment on the size of the clock? for those of us that know them only in pictures. Yours looks like in good shape after all 100 plus years...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Several years ago I purchased the Seth Thomas Adamantine Mantle Clock you see below. I was aware of what the black finish consisted of but that was about all. Thanks to Carlos showing us the "ClockHistory.com" website I have a far better understanding. Clearly mine has the later Model 89 Movement with the regulation below center and Bruce's example uses the earlier version.

As to size, the one below measures 18" wide by 12" high and 8" deep.

Seth Thomas Adamantine Mantle Clock, two full pillars on each side...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Label on my clock is a third style, unlike those shown on the web-site...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...fine looking clocks gentlemen!!!the ST 89 movement is a good one and a workhorse to be sure!!!the adamantine finish a work of art...should be in every American clock collection (save mine...yet!!!)!!!Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Carlos, this clock is 15L x 11H x 51/2W..

Lindell, That is one good looking clock! I love the free standing pillars!!.. I hope to someday purchase one just like yours Smile

I purchased a Ansonia OG wall clock the other day.. I hadn't seen to many of them so I scooped it up.. Never had one with weights before. New animal to tackle Smile I will post pictures once it arrives.

Bruce

IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
This is hard to believe, I picked up three clocks of the same style. They are all made of metal, are yours? they are very heavy. The same man has 3 wooden ones with the marble pillars, I may go back and get them. Of the 3 I bought, 2 are Ansonia's and the third and heaviest, has an open escapement and no name.
I am at a total loss as I know absolutely nothing about these clocks, except they all work?? I will post a photo or 2 later, maybe someone can tell me what I have?
Regards, Jack

Jack Goldstein

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Lindell, Bruce,
Thanks for the info on the size of the clocks, they are bigger than I thought, pretty massive, they look elegant...

Jack,
why not opening a new thread with your new old clocks?, we will learn something for sure...Wink

IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Good idea Carlos, will do
Jack

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Jack,

My impression is you may have come across some in cast iron cases. I never figured out the resoning behind such things, but we see all sorts of cases, they are all very interesting. The ones with the pillars are worth going back for, as you see everyone likes the effect.

The Adamantine Process Seth Thomas and a few others used looks a lot like modern powder coating to me. It is very durable and has held up well.

Carlos, I agree these are substantial and very well made. Their chiming is quite pleasent in any setting, be it home or office.

Some of us "watch guys" sure are broadening our interests!

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
and our wallets! Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is one of the first clocks I got to repair. The columns are full columns, not halves. It has lion's heads on the ends. I looked all over for a date stamp and couldn't find it.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Seth Thomas Adamantine

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
andy,

That is a very nice clock.. I am looking forward to the finished product..

Bruce Byrd