Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

150th Anniversary of Big Ben Video "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a link to an interesting video about London's Big Ben. (it plays an ad first)

Big Ben

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Now that is interesting!

The English have contributed much to timekeeping and they have a unique sense of history.

All of us who so love old clocks are "keepers of the flame" and for many of us they are a part of our daily lives. Where I am sitting a Seth Thomas from 1876 is ticking away in perfect beat behind me, there is nothing more soothing than the regular beat of a clock ticking in the room.

Thanks to Ernie for sharing this auspicious anniversary with all of us!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Ernie

i don't know if you know but Big Ben is the bell rather than the clock. I have been up the clock tower several times and it is well worth a visit if ever you are in London.

The clock (and the bell) have a facinating history.

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Little things like this make this a fascinating site....Thanks, Ernie for sharing this with us....

I have been to London over the years a number of times, always on business and never took the time to visit 'Big Ben'....If I ever go back again, you can bet I will vist the old boy....

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Clive,
You are so right. Most people think Big Ben is the clock, but It's the bell.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002