Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Webb C. Ball clock question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I'm not sure if I'm asking this in the right forum, but here goes nothing....I know that Ball had clocks as well as watches made, but I'd like to know if there is any such thing as a Ball locomotive clock, I've never heard of one, but since Mr. Ball was into just about everything to do with railroad time service, it would seem like a logical thing to have made for those who would have a use for one.Thanks, and pardon me if I should have posted this in the Ball watch section...Ted Brown.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Ted,

We linked this topic into both locations as you suggested.

You are probably aware that in addition to his far-flung Railroad Time Inspection business also Ball had one of the most successful retail jewelry stores in Northeastern Ohio and there they sold a vast array of merchandise.

Among the items would be clocks such as you are asking about which would be flat on the back with mounting holes around the edge. Based upon the design of a ships clock they would be mounted flat on the wall for use in trains and similar situations. I have seen these but do not have one in my collection and we would expect to find "Webb C. Ball, Cleveland Ohio" or "Ball Watch Company, Cleveland" on the dial. That former of the two names which refers specifically to the retail jewelry store is the more likely to find on clocks and watches.

Here are some related topics...

Click for Larry Buchan comments on Locomotive Clocks and a general search for "Locomotive Clocks" show some more clocks, usually marked as Seth Thomas and used in Locomotive settings.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you, Lindell, I will check out Larry's posts.I've always wondered about these type clocks, to me it would seem almost impossible for Ball not to have had at least a few of them made...I wish I could have gone into the Ball store, I'd have been like a kid in a candy store!, Best Regards, Ted.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thank you Ted,

Speaking of the retail jewelry store in Cleveland, it started out on Superior and later moved to Euclid Avenue. Check this topic Was this watch company the Webb C. Ball Company? that rambles a bit but shows both locations as they are today and links up some interesting history we have put together.

Like the lyrics of Elton John's homage to Marylyn Monroe... "I would have liked to known you but I was just a kid..." the Ball store was gone before most of us could have visited.

Be well my friend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks again, Lindell, I'll check that out!

IHC Member 665
posted
I think the main era of locomotive clocks pre-dated Webb C Ball.

JBS

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for the reply, John, I never even thought of that!Best regards, Ted.