Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

PRATT & FROST W/GROANER MOVEMENT "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
To all,

Recently acquired a decent Pratt & Frost column & splat with the "groaner" movement. Clock is running well, despite some dust & "gunk" in the bushings, which I cleaned out with a toothpick. My question: The bottom tablet is a very thick mirror (most likely a replacement) which was backed with 2 wood panels and held in with nail brads. This makes the door extremely heavy and unbalanced. I read somewhere that the practice of securing the mirrors with wood was not uncommon. I would like to find out the actual method of securing the mirror.

Thanks for your time.

Tim Ryan
NAWCC #44365
Chapter 185 Charter Member #36

Posts: 13 | Location: Lynn, Massachusetts USA | Registered: December 26, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tim,
The wooden works clocks that I have seen have either putty (or some compound similar to putty) to hold in the glass, or thin strips of wood along the edges. I have not seen one with two wood panels.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tim, thanks for the picture. Great looking dial on that clock. I like the old cases of that vintage. As a friend of mine would say, " It's a great hunk of lumber!"

Below is the dial picture sent in by Tim.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on June 18, 2003 at 23:29.]

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tim,
A little more digging reveals that in a lot of the early clock plaster of paris was used to hold in the glass. Then it was sealed with shellac.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
back again, like that bad penny,

found an old mirror that should cut down to replace the bottom tablet. Over night the weight cord on the strike side broke. Now I'm looking for a reputable wooden works repair person to replace the weight cords and do a cleaning and overhaul as needed.

your recomendations would be most welcome.

thanks all

Tim Ryan

reply in the message board or e-mail

T478LFD@AOL.COM

Posts: 13 | Location: Lynn, Massachusetts USA | Registered: December 26, 2002