Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clocks and Historical Events "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
One of the things I like about this clock is the design on the glass. the clock was manufactured in about 1865. The glass reflects the Civil War era. I would be interested in seeing other examples of clocks that reflect the history of the time in which they were made.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The clock is the Ingraham Column Arch.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, you have a very nice clock there. Mark Sozzi from Ashfield Mass. who advertizes for those types of clocks. He is a high end dealer in clocks toys and mechanical banks whom I have known for years and he may be able to give you some insight on those types of clocks.

William Mittelstadt

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bill, Thanks for the reference. I will follow up on that. Maybe some of our members can show some of theirs also.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Tom...that sure is a beauty...just love that Empire-look...I've attached a pic of a clock produced by the Hamilton Clock Company (Hamilton, Canada) in 1876...while they were in business for
only a 4 year period they produced a variety of mantle clocks for the then basically agrarian economy in Upper Canada, now Ontario...the Company was distinquished by the acid etched glass tablets fronting their cases...this one reads;-"God Speed the Plough'...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Nice clock Jim,I do not see many canadian made clocks in this area. Cool

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
great clock Jim. Very interesting glass. thanks for posting it.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Tom,
Have a love for the double door mantel clocks with the Rosettes. Most I have seen have the double round door set-up. I was fortunate to find this unusual piece recently with a curved top lower rectangular door. The dial was a crooked attached paper replacement which I removed and then used what was left of the original underneath to "Clone a new one.
All glass is original. It's name is the New Haven "Guide".

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice looking clock Ralph. thanks for posting. What is the height on that one?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Tom,
The New Haven "Guide" measures out a a whopping 17-1/4" high.

In regards to your Ingraham Column Arch; I believe this was the first clock to introduce the fiqure 8 door with the Rosettes that many other makers copied later on. Am I correct in this statement???

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ralph,
That was my impression. I have done a bit of reading up and cannot find anything that specifically states that was the clock that it was first used on.

The Arch Column was first produced with a round top glass and a square bottom glass. That case design was patented in 1857. The same year Ingraham patented his door with the round top and bottom glass with the rosettes in between. Later versions of the Arch Column and the Doric and other case designs were presented with the newly patented door design. They were probably introduced about the same time.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
I feel this recent Flea Market purchase definately warrants being placed on this thread of historical clocks. The little thing runs great and is referenced in size with an 18S Railroad watch.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great find Ralph!! A fun little item to have ticking away rapidly on the wall.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.