Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Railway Station Clock Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi all,
My sister is here for Thanksgiving, and she was telling me that she has a Clock that her ex-mother-in-law gave her (serious antique-er) that came from an old Pennsylvania Rail Road Station, and is said to be very old.

She says that it is round like a regular clock at the top, but the bottom has a different shape, and since it's been packed away for over 20 years, she can't remember what it looks like on the bottom.

When she gets home, she is going to send me some pictures.

The question is, do you think that I will be able to identify the clock even if it's not marked at all. She says she doesn't remember if there were any markings on it? and.....

My other question is, do you think a clock like this one, can be connected in a historical way to the Station it was in? Is that ever possible?
She is getting in touch with her ex-mother-in-law today to see if she can get more information on the clock.

Last, This woman is a serious antique collector, and only buys the BEST Antiques, however her husband purchased items too, and wasn't as perfectionist as she was, and we don't know which one purchased it.

When I get the pictures, where would I start to connect the Clock to the Station? Or is this too foolish to consider?

DID CLOCKS IN RAIL ROAD STATIONS HAVE THE SAME EXACTING REQUIREMENTS AS THE POCKET WATCHES DID?

Sorry guys, I don't know Clocks at all. Let me know what is too crazy to even consider, and what can actually be searched out if you can. I have no idea.
I would like to at least start in a spot that may get me some answers, and not chase after something that is impossible.
I will post the pictures as soon as I get them, but they will be here for another week, so it will be after that.

Thank you for your help!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
that sounds like it could be a very interesting clock. The clocks in RR stations were not subject to the strict timekeeping standards that the watches were. They weren't used for timing the movements of trains, only suggested to people when they should get ready to board, etc.

Some stations had some high quality weight driven clocks. They were very accurate. Others had some on the higher end spring clocks and they also did a good job of timekeeping.

As far as marks on the clocks go, some has "property marks". I'm not sure they all did. Someone else with more knoweldge of these can fill us both in on those details. I have seen some that were supposed to come from a station that had no identifying marks on them. It may have depended on the RR or the station manager as to how property in the station was marked.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Sheila i look forward to see pictures and finding out more about this clock.
Sounds quite interesting. Smile

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Again, English Railway Clocks were nearly all numbered and marked with the name of the Railway Company. Hope it's English. Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Hi,
Just checking in, my sister is spending time with her children, so I guess we wait until she gets home to Colorado. I WILL post as soon as she sends me some pictures. Her ex-mother-in-law went to Italy! so any information about it will have to wait the week too! poo.

Sheila

posted
Hi Gang,
I didn't forget! My sister just got home on the 15th of Jan. and since her hubby put the clock in the attic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(She almost died from the shock of what he did)
and it should be down soon.
Now, How long it's going to take her to get pictures, and send them to me, is another srory.

I AM PESTERING HER EVERY DAY!

I'm just as curious as you guys.

Can't wait!

Sheila

posted
I'm posting this again today because MY SISTER IS MOVING and it may mean that she will FINALLY get into the attic and find this clock.

I have to confess that she has had a terrible time since I posted this, 3 deaths and caring for one of her husbands children full time. Needless to say, I stopped bothering her.

However, they plan on packing up the attic soon, so I'm praying that the clock will be somewhere close to the beginning of the pack.

Who knows how long it will take? But I wanted you to know that I am still on her, (softly) about the clock, and I look forward to seeing it myself.

I will post again when I find out something.

Maybe THIS TIME!!!!!!

Sheila