Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

YOU WANT..WHAT???? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I know that some of you are out there waiting for the time when YOUR particular area of clock collecting will be discussed so you can jump in.

Let's take some of the guesswork out of it. Let's hear from all of you about the area of clock collecting you like and kind of things you would like to see discussed and pictured here.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I like some of the home made clocks. Ones that either someone made the case, or they made the movement themselves. I was just talking to someone who makes the real fancy wood boxes, and I thought I might get him to make a case out of some exotic woods. Maybe I could design it and have him make it. I would like to see someone make a copy of a Crane torsion clock. If I had the talent......

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Tom and Andy:

In the same theme, I would like to know how to get missing wooden parts on existing clock cases replaced. There must be wood workers who could fashion those parts but who are they?

I have been known to buy a whole empty case to accomplish this, but that gets too expensive!

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
I figure it might be easiest to answer Tom's question pictorially by showing some of my clocks, so here goes...

On the top row of this photo is a Seth Thomas Parlor #5 Calendar Clock, a Gilbert Falmouth crystal regulator and an Ansonia Music. Below, on the left are 2 American Bank Protection Company timers. (I do have an interest in bank timers and vault timers.) I also have an interest in clock movements applied to other uses... The small movement right below the Ansonia Music is a DeKeravenan kerosene lamp fan. It is very well made - even has jeweled pivots for the small fan.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
posted
A few more clocks... From left to right, a Seth Thomas Prospect #18, an Ansonia Tambour with interesting carved edges, Seth Thomas Chime #96, and a Seth Thomas Tambour.

posted
Finally, to continue Andy's thread, here is a clock case that I designed and built about 10 years ago. It's built around a Kieninger Triple Chime 9-bell movement. I'll post more photos of this one later in a separate thread if anyone is interested in seeing more of it.

posted
I enjoy all threads on clocks. My favorites are the ones that are on clock repairs.
It was such a great feeling when I repaired my first clock movement and it took off running. Been going great now for over 30 days and keeps great time.

Posts: 46 | Location: Van Wert, Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
Those wooden clocks are great. Real pieces of art and functional timepieces. There were some beautiful ones (don't know who made them) in a store in Camden, Maine. It had the strange name of "Once a Tree". I' not sure I like the name, but I they had the most fabulous wooden items. The clocks were out of my price range, but I did get a great wooden tie!

Pattye,
We should start a whole thread on such resources. There was an outstanding woodworker here that has made parts for some of my clocks. He has taken another job, and I am not sure how available he is. Perhaps in the new thread people from various parts of the country/world can tell their source and we could have a sort of regional database.

Dave, You have a great selection of clocks. It may generate several discussions. (hint: See: "Bank Clocks")

Robert, thanks for you comments. I for one, agree completely that to get a clock running again is great for the mind and spirit. I used it as therapy after a day teaching 10 year olds!! Worked well. (Some say!) Roll Eyes

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hello Everyone
My major interest is Seth Thomas weight regulators. I have 3 #2's and a #3. Here are my 2 favorites. One in oak and the other mahogany, 100% original finish and painted dial never messed with. Check out the Seth Thomas label in the mahogany one, I have been told these were contract clocks made for the Philadelphia Board of Education. I would have to win the lottery to continue collecting these weight regulators because the good ones have sky rocketed in price and out of my reach.

Robert
I grew up in Spencerville and ran around Van Wert a lot.

Gary

Mahogany #2

Label

Oak #2

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Gary,
Great clocks. I think we could start a thread just on Seth weigh drives, especially the very popular #2s. I have never had the good luck to own one. I almost got one, arrived about 30 seconds too late to grab one at an estate sale for $300. Close but no cigar!

I would imagine that many school districts and public buildings used these clocks. It would be great to hear from those who know where they were used.

I know the Ney York subway used Howard weight driven clocks. They were dumped offshore by the truckload when they upgraded to electric!

Tom

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
This will be mine someday. Its a Waterbury Hall Clock #62. Only avalable in 1897-1898 and had to be special ordered. Not pictured in Tran's books but I spoke to him about it. He only has a picture of one and I only know of one other. I had contacted the library, they had a catalogue showing it could be ordered with a time and strike movement or a pinwheel movement, this is the pinwheel version with sweep second hand. (not on in this pic) Cost new $155
If anyone has ever seen one of these I would like for you to contact me.

Gary

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hi Tom
You gave 2 reasons to make me sick to my stomach. The $300 #2 and the Howards. Can you imagine what the guys are saying that dumped them over? Frown FrownThink of those #1 Howards.

Gary

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Dave,
I would like to see a picture of the 9 bell Kieninger movement. Does it play Westminster, Wittington and St. Michaels?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Hello Dave:

It looks like you have more talent than just finding lost dogs and marrying a pretty lady.

Someday, I'll post some of the monsters I made from scratch.

Catch as catch can.

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
Hi Dan,
Woodworking has been a hobby of mine for quite some time -- preceeding the dogs, clocks, watches and the pretty lady by many years...

Andy,
I'll take some more pictures of the clock and movement this weekend. Yes, it plays Westminster, Wittington and St. Michaels and quite beautifully!