• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Eco Magneto Clock Co "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The Arpil 94 Bulletin 289 has a lot of info on this company. You can also go to my old web page at:

http://williamkapp.fortunecity.com/

My old obsolete software won't access the page anymore so I can't update it but it still has some neat pics and facts.

I only know of 4 persons and the Detex museum that have any examples of this company's products.

I have a dozen or so of their product line and the handwritten order books covering their sales from 1888 to 1928. Thanks to Phil Haselton a former president of Detex and my co author of that bulletin article, I also have original advertising material, financial records, payroll ledgers and a signed 1 year warranty from the original patent holder.

The only problem is that I have basicaly "cornered" the market on available material and there are no other collectors to trade with.

I hope you have some fun browsing thru that old website.

Happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bill,
Very interesting. Lots of good pictures and information. There have been several questions over the years on those types of clocks/ I am sure that resource will be very much appreciated by many in days to come.

Thanks for posting the link, and all the time and effort in putting it together.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi again guys and gals.

I have transferred a lot of pics and text to the chap 52 website located at
http://williamkapp.tripod.com/id41.htm

The old website not only had annoying pop ups, it was also inaccessable for updates!

Happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bill I have one of those round watchman's clocks with two keys, and I han't the faintest idea if it has any value or collectability. In truth, a friend asked me to check on eBay and see if they were being sold there. Any ideas?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
David,
I have one like yours but without the key and the leather strap has broken. I picked it up at an auction because I thought it was kind of neat. I just looked on eBay and there are about 6 for sale ranging from about $10.00 to $25.00. I would be glad to send mine to you to use for parts since I have no idea if it works. It's just sitting around since I have no keys. Let me know.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks for the offer Mary, as this is not mine to keep I think I will return it to my friend.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave,

Believe it or not, these are still being made. Detex is still in business.

They cost a lot more new than the ones Mary Ann sees on ebay.

There is better technology and really upscale security depends upon scan technology, but these old fashioned dudes do just fine for nite watchman. The whole idea is to make sure the watchman stays awake and on the move.

happy hunting,

posted
just added some more pix, including a scan of a 5 year warranty issued in 1896.

Interestingy enough, the warranty is void if you don't use the paper dials sold by the company. Over 7000 of these office devices were sold and umpteen thousands of their portables.

As many of these devices required a new paper dial each day, it is not surprising in reviewing the company audited financials to see that the paper dial sales were very profitable.

In many years, the gross dollar sales of paper dials exceeded the gross dollar sales of the devices!

Happy hunting

posted
Chapter 52 has changed its host site.eco magneto page

I believe in sharing , anyone can copy any of my pics that wants to.

happy hunting,