Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

miniature cottages "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
How many have a picture of a miniature cottage they would like to share. I have an OG base min. Seth Thomas flat top. If anyone has an extra octagon top with the OG base.....well...let's talk.

Cottage Clock

Tim, if you send me some picts. of yours I will post them.

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Posted for Tim Ryan:

The prize of my miniature collection. First production run Seth Thomas miniature Cottage Clock - 1852.

Clock Picture

I think I may have a Noah Pomeroy cottage clock. I used the older bulletins to find a description and photo and they appear to match. Not a balance wheel escapement, but a standard escape wheel and verge. The movement has an "ear" on the chime side similar to the Noah Pomeroy movements I've seen, and also has the 24 hour (not 12 hour) chime wheel, which I believe Pomeroy used.
NAWCC #41293
IHC Exec.V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on February 03, 2003 at 23:16.]

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tom,

I read your post. If you can fathom my addiction, I have over 60 of the miniatures. I do have some duplicates, although the case number located inside of the case makes each one individual. Do you have Burt's 3 part series? It has provided me with a tremendous amount of information about these clocks. I was wondering what the case number of your miniature is? It's located (in pencil) on the inside of the cabinet either on the right bottom glue block or right side of the case. There should be a matching number on the door, usually on the bottom, but I've found them elsewhere as well.

I've attached an additional photo of another miniature.

Tim
Octogon top

NAWCC #41293
IHC Exec.V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on February 04, 2003 at 9:46.]

posted
Nice pieces gentelmen. Very nice.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55
You will never prosper if you live your life in fear.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tim,
I have taken the old Bulletins down and read the three part series by Owen and have come up with the following - does this match with your take on it. You have much more experience with these than I.
Case #402
Style: C-01
Label: PH-02 (1856-1859)

Movement: 1852-1856 Maybe an early 1C-C. The style of Geneva stops indicate "early", but I'm not sure of the rest of the movement ID.

Hands: HB (1859-late 60s)
Dial: 1855 "standard" Three pin style, with top pin changed to a block. 1856
Alarm dial: AA (1852-1868)

Looking at the overlapping dates for the various features I am concluding that it was made in 1856.

Does that jive with what you see?

I have posted picts of the movement and label.

movement

Label

NAWCC #41293
IHC Exec.V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on February 07, 2003 at 11:38.]

posted
Tom,

Here is what I see.

case: C-01 1852-1867
look on the bottom to see if the "shipping holes" are cut into the case

movement:early 1C-C movement 1856-1857
note the screw holding the verge pin plate and the small size of the S. Thomas stamp

label: PH-02 1853-1859
this is one of the instances that I question. Look at the photos in the bulletin and see that the lettering lines up with the PH-02 label. In the PH-03 label the "made and sold by" line lines up with the H in Seth, while in the PH-03 label the "made and sold by" line starts in the space between the T & H in Seth. A small difference but it could represent an additional label used in these clocks, just my opinion.

alarm dial: AA 1852-1868
tough to see in photo, but easy enough to identify

dial: 3 pin method 1853-1856
interesting that at some time during the life of the clock a block was added to secure the top of the dial. doesn't this interfere with the door closing properly?

Using the dates above (from the article) I would hazard an 1856 date +/-.

your (and anyone elses) comments most welcome.

Tim

Posts: 13 | Location: Lynn, Massachusetts USA | Registered: December 26, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tim, Thanks, Your sharp eyes spotted what I missed. The label is a PH -03. The lettering you mentioned and the little divider design between "Connecticut" and "Warrented Good" matches the PH-03 not the PH-02.

This has sparked my interest in cottage clocks. I am now on the lookout for more that just the octagon top/OG base. Mayabe there are others out there who would like to share their miniature cottages.

NAWCC #41293
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
Soooooo thats what these Clocks are called.....I just learned something.... Eek Red Face Smile

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002