Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ANYONE ELSE HAVE A JEWELER'S CLOCK??? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

My watchmaker Rich Kuhn has a soft spot in his head (just as I do) for Bulovas. He recently came across a beautifully lighted Bulova Jeweler's Clock that I'm smitten with.

And if you haven't seen the masterful job Ralph Raynor did saving a literal basket case, check this out...

Ralph's Longines Clock... Basket Case to Beautiful!

These really are nifty clocks! Anybody else have a Jewelers Advertising Clock or two in their collection?

Illuminated Bulova Jeweler's Clock...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This one is a little older. but I think it could be called and advertising clock.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The ad!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I spotted this one at a nearby repair shop. The picture shows only the dial. The case is the typical square with dial lighted from behind.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
I have a Gruen neon clock. It has five electric motors in it. The center one tells time locally. The other four are set for time around the world. I think one says Moscow, another Cairo.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Hi Steve,

That sounds like a winner!

How about a picture of that rascal?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Here are some examples. All had some form of seconds bit. These were all made to be seen in stores so the public could set there watches and the watch/clock makers could time theirs.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
other examples

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
more regulator

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Those are fabulous!! Could you give some more info on age and makers of those beauties!

Welcome to IHC!! Thanks for posting! I see the pendulum is swinging in one of the photos. It is great to know they are running!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

You're right Tom!

Everyone join me in welcoming Doug Barr from Westlake in Northern Ohio to Chapter 185!

Doug, it's truly an honor to have you with us. Stake out some space in our Photo Gallery and let's see some more!

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Welcome Doug!, it seems that you have some great clocks, it is nice to see them.
One question from a non-clock guy, in your second picture, how is that the watch face is in the lower position of the clock?, is it moving as the pendulum? Roll Eyes

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
The second clock picture is a "swinger" type clock. The movement is located in the pend. bob and has a pinwheel escapement.As it swings the escapement is released and the second hand advances.The pend. is a very heavy invar? ,brass affair and a full meter. There is a dial in white on the other side.Very accurate but needs to be cased to avoid any air movement that might efect its timing.A very good piece to attract customers to your shop...the pend. has only the smallest of movement ....powered by a fusee, spring set up.Hope this answers some questions. Pendrod

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

posted
I finally got time to crawl up in the attic, and dig out the dusty Gruen clock. Here are imnages of it (if I'm lucky). It has fine Haddon electric motors in the back. The center motor tells local time, and the other motors tell time in; Paris-London, Bombay, Moscow, and Rio De Janeiro. I bought this years ago, at a Pawn Shop. Evidently, they bought out a watchmaker's shop. I also got a wonderful Sangamo Electric Clock at the same time.

posted
Here's a rear shot of the Gruen Neon Clock, showing the motors. Yes it does work fine.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Steve,

That is a very interesting clock. Thanks for taking the time and effort to get it out of storage and post the pictures.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Here's one fished out of yesterdays regional. A bit bigger than the typical advertising clocks I've come across thusfar.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
posted
I like the early Jeweler's Regulators. Here is a picture of a few in my living room.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
We seem to be mixing jeweler's advertising clocks and jeweler's regulators in the same thread, but you can't argue with the results. Great example of each!!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
William, those are magnificent!, something to see reallyCool, do you run them regulary?

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Doug and William, fabulous, outstanding.
Thank you,
Jack G

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 0152932
IHC 185 #274
http://www.ball-rr-pocketwatches.com

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003