WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anybody, help! Can A painted zinc dial be washed?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
The question is can a painted zinc Seth Thomas clock dial be cleaned up from surface dirt, just dirty, no stains.
I know sombody out there can help with this question.
Thanks, Jack/G
Eek Eek Confused

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
really depends how oxidised the dial is.try water first with a damp rag in a area that will not show.If that does not work then proceed to light soap solution. Make sure to blott the water not to scrub.You may try a watered down solution of windex,but beware this could remove the paint of your dial! Allways proceed slow in any restoration project. You can all so send the dial out to a number of people listed in the mart.Good Luck Doug Barr

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Have had great results with the old product called Kotten Klenser. Have brought many an OG type dial back without disaster. As Doug has mentioned...DO NOT SCRUB. The urge to pour the stuff on and go at it must be avoided. Start in a hidden corner and test the surface you'll be dealing with. Bear in mind that there will probably be areas on the dial that will not tolerate your activity as much as other spots. Go easy, Go easy, Go easy!!!! And be pataint. The reward for your patience will be magnificant. If the urge to "get it over with" takes hold.....than walk away and re-charge your batteries. Learn to recognize when the dial has had enough, and push the process no farther. In a flash all can be lost.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Doug and Ralph,
You cared and I apreciate you.
If ever I can, just ask.
Thanks

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 152932
IHC Member 274
http://www.ball-rr-pocketwatches.com

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Jack, I would have helped if I could, I have a dial on an American 8 day Ogee that needs a little help and I will follow advice given to you, many thanks to all concerned. GED.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
I wonder if it is a good idea after dial has been cleaned with kotten clenser to lightly apply a paste and lightly buff it to keep it looking as well as it can be.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Kevin,

I've long been an advocate of the high quality polishes like we use on automobile finishes applied after careful cleaning and buffed to a soft lustre. Sure looks like great protection to me. But as always, proceed with caution.

What do others say?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have often used a high grade car wax with a cleaner in it on metal dials and it takes most rust stains and bleamishes off. Also leaves a soft glowing finish.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
posted
Thanks Lindell and William i will give it a go and see how it goes, i am sure it will be a big improvement.