Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mobier clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
customer supposes this is 16th century... would that be correct?

How do I post an album?

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Greg,
Neat looking sideboard clock. Karges Furniture (and others) made similar looking furniture in the 1970s but no clock on them. They may have been copies of older pieces. I doubt it is as old as they think. Could be 19th Century. Movement may be a lot older than the case.

I think the photo album is only available for some sections of the board, not on this one. You can go back in a message you post and edit it, and add another picture, one at a time this way.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
the movement
Front

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
right side of movement
I will have to post a photo of the pendulum tomorrow. I've never seen anything like it!

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The Pendulum...this is so cool!

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very neat clock. I am no expert on these, but I would guess it has quite a bit of age to it. Great crownwheel escapement. Gearing not seen in more modern clocks. Love the pendulum. I am not sure why they designed it like that, I am sure is doesn't get folded up for travel very often.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Greg, looks like a Morbier. Here is a site with info about them. http://www.mnsi.net/~jschrein/page2.html
And another http://www.comtoise.de/museum.htm
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Thanks...So this is a French movement? And looks like it was produced between 1750 and 1800.

I wonder if the "cabinet" is from the Netherlands? It seems to me that I've seen this style before but have no idea where I saw it.

I just love getting older!!!!

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
What you have is a clock from the region of La Comte or Comtoise in France. The movements were made in the villages of Morbier-Morez. The movements are scaled down tower clock movements.The movement you have is very early from the middle of the 18th century.You can till by the folding Pend.,wood winding drums, crown wheel and cast rather presssed brass surounds. Striking was usually on the hour followed 5 mins. latter by another hour strike. Many of the sweeep second movements sold by American Clock Companies were also made in Comtoise in the second half of the 19th century. Included is a photo of a Morbier from the last quarter 19th century. Note the movement is surounded by a case to be hung on a wall. The latter ones were anchor escapements. The best book about these clocks "Comtoise Clocks" by Maitzner and Moreau. Use to see them at the regionals but seem to have dried up.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Face

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Movement

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Thanks for all the information!! It's greatly appreciated!!