Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Number 5 Calendar - Reproduction Case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
The Seth Thomas #5 Calendar wall clock is one of my favorite wall clocks. I have only seen one of these clocks close up. If you search the internet you will find about 5 examples of this clock. Some have sold for $7500 or more when all original.

A reproduction case was on Ebay last week, and I was very interested to see what would happen. The auction ended with a starting bid of $600 with no bids. I have emailed the seller and I am trying to get additional pictures.

Overall the case looks to be a very nice reproduction. The key hole on the front door looks to be one issue that the Original did not have.

I would love to hear some other opions on this case and figure out if this is a good investment for a long term project. I am interested in the case, I would like to be more educated about the Seth Thomas number 5 calendar wall clock.

Thank You

Rich

Seth Thomas #5 - Reproduction

Posts: 190 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: June 27, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Pic 2

IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Here is a picture of a Original Seth Thomas #5.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Another example.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Here is a nice example.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Pic of inside.

posted
As far as an investment, this is not a good one. There is a reason it only got to $600.00 and that is the lower cal. mov't. This clock takes the Andrews calendar mov't which only came in 4 clocks, all expensive. That mov't came in the office 5, office 8, office 9 and the office 11 The Mix calendar mov't which came in the easy to find office 2 will not work. Study Tran's calendar book to learn the difference. The no. 5 cal. clock is bringing close to 20 thousand when crisp. I have had them all except the no. 9

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Hi William,

Thanks for taking the time to help educate me on this case. I did find another reproduction Seth Thomas that looks like it would be a possible match for the works.

Reproduction - Seth Thomas

Another question I had, is there any chance this was a Seth Thomas made reproduction case ? If it was, I would think it would have a label on the inside door. Or is this a home made case ?

Thanks

Rich

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Bill,

Looking at the last auction Rich linked I am struck by the beautiful case and nicely done clock.

It apparently has an original calendar movement below but the rest including the upper movement looks to be a reproduction. It sure is beautiful work, and I wonder how anyone can make and sell such a clock for that kind of money. Some of the reproduction work is amazing to my untrained eye, but not being familiar with this model I wonder how faithful it is to the original design.

Lindell

Beautiful workmanship on this reproduction...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
There's an original hanging just to the left of my computer table. The case seems to be exactly the same, except that I doubt ST ever produced cases in elm. Mine is oak.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
The seller contacted me tonight about the case. Per the seller, the case does not have holes were the movements would be. I asked for additional pitures. I will provide a couple once I receive them.

Maybe it is me, but I find some of the E Howard or Seth Thomas reproductions interesting. It is a great test to see if you can figure out any flaws. I may be crazy, but for the right price, I would be interested in the case still.

Now that price may be real low. I could make it into a very nice picture frame of my 2 kids maybe. Smile Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Rich, this is an interesting topic. There are, of course the reproductions (repros) that are cheaply done and exhibit little skill or craftsmanship. On the other hand, there are some that are done by very skilled craftsman and are quality cases. These have a value because of the skill level it took to complete them. Because they copied another's design takes it out of the category of "original art" and does affect the value. The sublties of patina aside, a very high quality and faithful reproduction is just as pleasing to the eye as the original. What value these have is a good question for debate, but I have seen some high end reproductions at regionals go for very high prices.
What do others think on this topic?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
Tom,

I agree with you. I have seen 2 different E Howard reproduction cases bring $2000 and $3000 in the past couple years.

If I went to Jc Penny or a mall and wanted to buy a wall clock it may be $200 or $400 for a new clock. I would want a reproduction like this #5 before I bought a new clock from a store.

One Question I have. I know there was someone in Florida in the 1970's who made high end cases. Could this be one ?

Value ? I would think someone would ask $800 to make a copy like this one.

Rich