WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pendulum Bob on EBay $730.00 and rising (no clock) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I must be real cheap... $730.00 and rising (?) for a pendulum bob ONLY.. NO CLOCK ! And 6 days to go ! EBay Link for Pendulum Bob

Charlie

Posts: 26 | Location: Pigeon Forge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 31, 2002
posted
Yeah, look at the bids, one guy likes it so much he has to bid 8 times. Eek Big Grin Roll Eyes

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
And that folks.....is why people sell on eBay!!!!

I cannot imagine the reasoning behind that price for that bob. Desireable...yes!! but............ Roll Eyes Eek

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, are they that hard to find? Eek Confused

The Bob is 8" ****, how big is the clock it goes on Confused

Any Pics of the clock?Confused

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Mike,
Attached is a picture of two Howard wall clocks. They are both about 40 inches long. The pendulum bobs in the picture seems to have a design on it similar to the one in the auction.

There was also a picture (in the 1874 Howard Catalogue) of a "Clock, for the detection of deliquent watchmen on night duty in factories, railroad stations and public buildings."

This is a fancy cased clock and is listed as 5Ft. 6in.. It also seems to have an inscribed pendulum bob.

I would imagine the bobs by themselves are pretty rare. They are one of those loose items that frequently gets lost during transport of a clock and unless found by a knowledgeable clock person will be tossed or set aside and not available to collectors.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is the watchman's clock. The pendulum only shows partially, but it does look like there is a design on it similar to the one in the auction. The auction description says Seth thomas or Howard. I don't recall Seth thomas having the decorated bobs. It wasn't hard to find examples of Howards. (in the catalogues) The walls of my house are still wondering where Howard is, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
That bob goes on a Seth Thomas No. 16 Regulator and is very mint. Now if you had a 20,000 + dollar clock with a so so bob, 730 bucks to improve the clock would be a bargain. William Mittelstadt

William Mittelstadt

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
William,
Thanks for nailing that one down.
Below is a picture of the No16 and it doesn't show the fancier bob, but I know from one production year to another details like that would be changed. Upon looking more closely, I did see some Seth Thomas models with the fancy pendulum bob.

William, you identified that pretty quickly. Do you have one of these?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
"Pretty Woman" married who?

Everyone,

Thanks for the great pictures Tom, they really do tell the story.

When I first saw this it was the way I felt almost like when Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett. Just could not believe it. William, you really put this in perspective. Unlike Julia's choice this could well mean an upgrade. By the way, welcome to Chapter 185 where objective thinking is always welcome!

Thanks for coming on board.

Lindell

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...HEY...HEY...HEY!!!...you don't be 'dissing' my Man Lyle "you can have my woman just don't touch my hat" Lovett here now...Smile...this be about 'Bobs' here not the bestus of country...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Then the Seth Thomas No. 16 Regulator's are going for $20,000 plus? Eek Confused Roll Eyes

posted
I had 2 Seth 16s and several Seth 19s. The most I got of a Seth 16 was 24k. All the 19s I sold brought more than that. The moral of the story is spend the extra buck and buy top shelf.

William Mittelstadt

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
William,
Thanks for all the info. If you still have any, a picture would be great. I hadn't realized the price for those had gone to that level.

Thanks again. Your input into this discussion was educational and greatly appreciated.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
Tom if you gave me your e-mail address I will send you several pictures of interesting clocks that you could post. I am not rally up on posting pictures but would be happy to provide pictures of neat clocks to stimulate members. Let me know what guide lines as far as size to make the pictures.

William Mittelstadt

posted
We have a winner( cantmakeupmind )
at $951.00 for the pendulum bob...

Charlie

Posts: 26 | Location: Pigeon Forge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 31, 2002