• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

fusee spring barrel repair "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've received a late 1890s to early 1900s English fusee wall clock that has a crack in the mainspring barrel. The crack is tight but extends from the solid back about a third of the way to the open end of the barrel. I'm unable to find a replacement and am considering brazing the crack and turning the surface back down in the lathe. Think I'm looking for trouble or would this work ?

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
IHC Member 2030
posted
Aah materials science. We fix or fail trying.
I have no advice Michael , there are repair videos for brazing and soldering brass. Good luck! What can you loose Smile
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
MICHAEL IF YOU BRAZE THE BARREL AND THEN MACHINE IT SMOOTH YOU WILL BE BACK WHERE YOU STARTED THE TORQUE ON THE PERIPHERY OF THE BARREL IS CONSIDERABLE IF I WERE YOU I WOULD MAKE A NEW BARREL ADDING .032 TO THE MATERIAL THICKNESS, YOU COULD USE BRASS TUBING . THE CUP IS DRAWN IN A PRESS AND HAD TO WITHSTAND MANY ANEALINGS TO SOFTEN THE WORK HARDENED BRASS. IF YOU MAKE IT FROM BRASS TUBING YOU AVOID WEAKENING THE MATERIAL. EDDIE HINES

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thank you , Eddie. I was afraid that something of that type might come into play. Unfortunately, I lack the skill and equipment to undertake that kind of project. I also just found a crack in the ratchet gear inside the fusee. I could make that myself. Don't suppose you know of someone who would be interested in making a barrel at a fair price? I hate to abandon this project. It's a late model (turn of the century) clock of no great value but has a lovely case and nice lettered dial. Your comments appreciated. Mike

IHC Member 1851
posted
If you braze it, be sure to use at least 45% silver, 56% would be even better. If it is done right it will flow into the crack and repair will be almost invisible and little clean up will be necessary if material is used sparingly.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
posted
MICHAEL, I CAN MAKE A NEW BARREL FOR YOU BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND YOUR BARREL ALSO I WILL NEED TO KNOW WHETHER IT IS CABLE OR CHAIN DRIVEN. I WILL SEND YOU A PRICE AFTER WE TALK. MY PHONE NUMBER IS 651-642-1462

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thank you Eddie. I found a chunk of 2.125 x 3.625 c360 brass on the net for 30 bucks. If I'm careful I'll have enough to do again in case I mess up. Other wise I'll have enough for a nice little brass anvil. I'll let you know. Thanks again for the advise. Mike

posted
Should have read 2.250...….duh.