Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery long drop regulator - help needed. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Gorham
posted
It is 32" tall and the movement is unsigned.

Any ideas on the make? New Haven comes to mind.

Is there any way clocks were factory produced with this finish?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
And the 8 day movement.

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
HELLO MICHAEL, THE FINISH ON THE CLOCK IS NOT ORIGINAL. THE MOVEMENT IS VERY OLD BUT IT APPEARS THAT THE GREAT WHEEL IS A RECENT REPLACEMENT DUE TO THE FACT IT IS SOLID AND HAS NO WHEEL CROSSINGS. THE #1 AND #2 WHEEL HAVE A CIRCULAR RIB STAMPED IN THE OUTER EDGE OF THE WHEEL WHICH DATES THE CLOCK TO 1850 1865. IT COULD BE NEW HAVEN, SETH THOMAS OR WATERBURY. TAKE CARE. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thanks yet again Eddie!

I owe you a cup of hot tea!

Michael

posted
Eddie, Pardon my ignorance,but are you saying that any clock that has the ribs like in Michaels photo on the 1 and 2 wheels are from 1850 to 1865? I have a Waterbury OG that has such embossing and I,ve wondered about the date of. Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
Trust me Michael, if Eddie says it is so, it is so!

Smile

posted
GREETINGS MICHAEL, I CANNOT PROVE PRECISELY THAT IT IS TRUE IN ALL INSTANCES HOWEVER IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT IT IS TRUE. I HAVE A WATERBURY OGEE MOVEMENT THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE REINFORCEING RIBS IN THE WHEELS AND IT IS CIRCA 1875 TO 1885. THE RIBS ARE TO REINFORCE THE WHEELS OR STRENGTHENING RIBS.SETH THOMAS DID THE SAME THING. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thank you sir. The more I read on this site ,the more I learn, but the more I learn, the more I find I need to learn. Thanks to all you people that are willing to share your knowledge with us all . Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009