Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clock in Auction / HAVE INFO?? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Pete Cronos
posted
The clock in the photograph will be coming up in a auction near me in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me what brand that they believe it is? Any idea on value of such a clock? Any reproductions known and if so what to look for to determine if it is a reproduction?
Thanks
Pete Cronos
pete@usa.com

Clock in Auction

Posts: 121 | Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas USA | Registered: April 23, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Pete,
I don't know anything about them, but I just found this on a websearch, click here. Looks like a Seth Thomas Number 2 Regulator to me. I think there are reproductions, and some of them are old. We'll wait and see what the experts think.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I am no clock expert, but the Seth Thomas Number 2 is a favorite of mine.

Spotting a reproduction can be as easy as carefully examining case construction in some instances. A look at the movement would be very helpful but of course that involves taking off the dial. Bear in mind some of the so-called reproductions actually were made by Seth Thomas after regular production had ended. Those are wonderful clocks that have considerable value as an extension of the original design and they were originally numbered on the case paper. See if you can find out what that round medallion below the scale is, I don't recall seeing one like that before and it may also reveal some additional information.

From the soft patina in your image the finish appears to be in fine condition.

Good luck on getting an interesting clock.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
look to bid between 750 to 1250. Don't forget about the buyers prem.These all ways seem to be up on ebay in the mid teens

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
posted
Cherry and mahogany will bring a premium over oak and as always condition/originality is a big factor. Is it a cherry case? $1250 for a original condition cherry or mahogany case would be a very good buy.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Looks old, original to me. I see a brass Id. tag hanging below the beat scale, which was used for inventory of a school system or court system.

Regards
Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
Picture of Pete Cronos
posted
Thanks for the info. The auction is next Saturday and if all goes as planned I will be there. Will give an update after the auction.
Thanks
Pete

Picture of Pete Cronos
posted
SOLD
I went to the auction on Saturday. The clock was in fairly decent shape. The weight needed to be replaced. It had come apart at the seams. The round tag seen in the photo had the # 93 stamped in it. The clock sold for $1425.00. NO I was not the buyer. Thanks for the inputs.
Pete Cronos