• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Late 1800's S/T calendar "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an Seth Thomas Parlor #10 Calendar clock that has cord (heavy string) for weight support and would like to replace it with a more original type of cable.
I haven't been abl;e to find a reference to what S/T used - Gut, Steel or Brass cable and what size to use for the 7 lb weights.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim

James F. Allison

Posts: 4 | Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 03, 2010
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

I can tell you from personal experience - do NOT use the gut. One night it gave out and the weigh that was on it went crashing through the bottom of our Seth Thomas Clock and made a tremendous noise. I believe it was replaced with brass cable.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thanks, Dr. Debbie, I have tried a 1/16" steel cable, but it makes a lot of noise when winding over those wood pulleys. I doubt that S/T used steel. Maybe a smaller brass cable would be better. At least the string was quiet when wound!! Do you or anyone else have any idea what S/T originally used?

Jim

James F. Allison

Posts: 4 | Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 03, 2010