Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Verichron Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Verichron

Does anyone know the history of this company? When it was started in referance to clocks?

Thanks in advance
greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The only "Verichron" clocks I've seen have quartz movements.

One of them hangs in our dinette as a matter of fact.

Click for eBay Search "Verichron Clocks"

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I've seen both 8-day and 31-day mechanical movements. Whether or not Verichron makes the movements, I don't know.

The reason I'm asking is: A customer is telling me that an "antique dealer" is telling him that he(the antique dealer) has one from the early 1900's. The reasons I question this is that, #1 -I personally have not seen any, any earlier than the 70's or 80's, #2 - the 31 day movement, #3 - The case flips open from the bottom to top.

The asking price is around $250.00, which may or may not be a bad price...I don't know. I certainly wouldn't pay that much from the Verichron clocks that I've seen.

To me it sounds like the guy is misrepresenting the clock. Was it made in the 1900's...Probably, from the early 1900's...I would have to say not.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
An obvous give away that a clock is new is the 31 day movement, expecially if the dial has the arrows that show the direction to wind each arbor.

While I can't find a company history of Verichron I am reasonable sure that it was not around in the early 1900s.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
My Junghans has arrows on the dial showing which way to wind it. Definately not new.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy, yours is a beauty and obviously not new. There are exceptions to every rule of thumb. Yours is probably not a 31 day.

I love the matching pendulum and dial designs!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Somehow in my brain, Verichron is associated with electric clocks, those big round wall clocks. They may have been a product of General Electric.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
General Electric used "Telechron" to market some of their electric clocks.

Tom

posted
My error, I went to look at an old General Electric alarm I have and it has Telechron on the dial. There are about 20 Verichron clocks on Ebay mostly all battery-operated. Some are in the 1960's sunburst style of wall clocks and are pre-quartz I think.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Check here, in Phil Schilke's message near the top. I found this on an ask.com websearch. What I wonder is, why it is a nawcc message in a different format? Is this some sort of archive? I have never seen the messages like this before.

The Junghans pictured above is a 14 day clock, I believe. The movement and strike will run for about 14 days, but someone replaced the chime spring so it has to be wound every week.

Andy

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
yes, I've also viewed that message, and searched under the names Harris & Mallow, and also Thomas Industries.

The post is listed in the NAWCC Message board/Clock Repair under both searches.

I do like those Junghans!

p.s. I read your post wrong(Andy). I do not know the answer to your question. Also, Do you (Andy) know the age of your clock? I do not recall seeing the triangle symbol before?

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Greg,
I don't really know the age of it. I was kind of guessing it dated to around 1910 to 1920, but maybe anywhere from 1900 to 1940 could possibly be right. Some of those German clocks look older than they are (to me anyway), so this is all I am guessing. I haven't had the movement out in a while, and I don't remember how it is marked, or what the symbols on the dial and pendulum are about. Kind of Art Deco. The case is mahogany (not sure the picture shows up how red it is). It has 6 bevelled glass windows at the bottom, but the one over the dial is not. This was one of my first old clocks I bought, and I have had it running constantly for about 15 years. One problem it has developed is it now only counts one strike no matter what hour it is, which I've gotten use to. It has a nice Westminster chime sound. I also just found out last week, that if you pull the cord to make it chime, you pull the cord a little farther and it strikes.

Andy

posted
If my memory hasn't failed me,I remember a line of round office clocks with the vericron battery operated movement.It had a type of tuning fork and the movement was about the size of a regular battery movement that had the balance wheel.I had one in the junk pile and when I downsized I sold it at auction.I think it was sold by Seth thomas or Westclox.I think they both were owned by Talley Industries.This was in the mid 60's.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003