• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Zachariah Maples Grandfather Clock. Co. Inc. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm trying to find information about the Zachariah Maples Grandfather Clock Co. Inc..
I know they used to located in Oak Park Illinois around the 60's/70's. I'm in the process of becoming the owner of one of their three weight clocks dated from the 1970's so I'd like to find out what I can about them. ( i.e. quality, reliability, styles,movement types, values etc. )

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Good luck Dave. Sounds like you already know more about them than most. I did a search on the green board and someone asked about them in 2002 and never got a reply. Also my websearches didn't bring up anything.

You might be able to do a search in Oak Park directories to see when they were there. I don't know if those are online or not.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Andy,
thanks for your note. Here's some more information I've managed to obtain.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Some more on info on Zachariah Maples Clocks. I'd like to find out if any IHC member owns one of these clocks ??

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dave,
Very interesting clock. I had not heard of Z. Maples before.

I looked in American Clockmakers and Watchmakers by Spittlers and Bailey, and found no mention of him. The search is on!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I wonder if it may be a furniture store? I have a couple of "Ethan Allen" clocks, and they were made for the furniture stores.

There is also this: Click here.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Kit clock? I bet the movement is a triple-chime Hermle.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Andy,
your suggestion that it may have been a furniture store, may be worth considering. But somehow I doubt it. I tend to feel the Z. Maples Grandfather Clock Co. may have been a small independent company located in Illinois.

Yes I'd also seen the EBAY clock you sent the link to. If this thing goes for the current level of bidding it will be a shame. The MAPLES grandfather clock I've just bought is coming from a friend of ours who's just gone through a divorce. Since I already have a nice grandfather clock, I'll most likely sell the MAPLES clock in the not too distant future. When I have some pictures to show I'll post them.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321