WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is G.V. Blunt a clockmaker or just a successful Birmingham merchant? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just bought an English fusee skeleton clock, with the name G.V. Blunt engraved on the dial. I found a merchant named George Vernon Blunt who lived and worked in the Birmingham borough around the second, third quarters of the 19th century, and I found an antique scale with his name on it sell in on eBay. Is this the same G.V. Blunt? Was he a merchant who just had his name stamped on his wares? It also say's "London" on the dial, but on the scale, it say's made in Birmingham. Anyone have any idea who could have made this clock if it wasn't George?

Posts: 4 | Location: Newton, New Jersey in the USA | Registered: July 17, 2013
posted
Can't figure out how to post pic. Says the file is too big. Sorry, Daniel.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Searching I found where there was a G.V. Blunt listed as a merchant in Birmingham UK at 80 Charlotte St. from 1833 to 1855, in on of the listing he is listed as an American.

Then in 1849 Post Office Directory there is a George V. Blunt listed as an American merchant at 80 Charlotte St.

Looking some more it appears there might be two men with that name in Birmingham, in 1855 there is a George Blunt listed as gold plated jewellery manufacturer, 6 Regent Parade.

Also found at the same time & city a George Vernon Blunt that was a doctor of medicine.

I guess I am not much help.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens. Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

Click here: How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

In there you will find information about sizing your images and posting them on our site.

Click these other links:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

PICASA - EXCELLENT FREE IMAGE PROGRAM

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5197 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom,
Well you've successfully added another item to my "covet" list. What a very cool clock!

Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
UNFORTUNATELY , it's not mine Evan just one I found listed on the internet that sounded like it was what Daniel was looking at LOL I wish I had it I think they're lovely Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom,
It doesn't have to be yours for me to covet Wink

Thanks for posting.

Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Thank you everyone for your input! I found out that the George I have been searching was christened in 1794, Birmingham, born to George and Hanna Blunt, and had a son who was a famous physician named George Vernon as well! That's a lot of Georges! My George was a merchant specializing in American goods, and his place of business in Birmingham was listed as a "General Hardware" store. I feel that I am very close to linking him to Thomas Blunt, of Nairne and Blunt fame(maybe grandson), but that link still eludes me. Thomas' shop in London was just a few doors down from a famous clockmaker(**** if I can't find my notes right now!), whose skeleton clocks look very similar to mine. Will find my notes and use my desktop to post pic when I get a chance. I know this clockmaker had a shop on Cornhill around 1730's. Thanks again for all your input, Daniel.

posted
Sorry, I meant around 1830!