• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A few different woodworks clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hollow column clock with empire style cornice by E&GW Bartholomew with woodworks movement. Original lower tablet.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Here is a fairly rare double door Seth Thomas 8 day woodworks, with tiger maple split columns and mahogany carved splat and carved feet. This clock is stunning to see in person. The lower tablet was restored on its original glass.

posted
One of my favorite clocks, a Orton, Preston & Co. 30 hr woodworks with internal alarm. The dial and upper mirror are original but the center mirror and lower tablet are probably replacements.

posted
Hi Derek
Great clocks there!

I would like your opinion on a clock from my Dad's collection. It is an Eli Terry and Son
(singular) wooden works with carved splat and stenciled columns. I have always wondered if that configuation is original as I have not been able to find an exact documentation in any reference book. What do you think?

Thanks for your reply
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Hi Pattye,

It appears that your father's clock is a quarter column transition. I have an Eli Terry & Son(s) quarter round transition with a similiar set up. My clock has had a lot of restoration in the past ie; restored lower tablet, quarter columns re-stenciled and probably re-finished but I have no reason to believe the configuration of carved splat and stenciling is not correct. My clock is missing it's carved front feet and turned back feet.

I have included a picture of the top of my clock which shows its original glue blocks. The way these clocks had their cases made with the inset corners, which allows the quarter round column to sit flush with the side and front of the case, there is little doubt that the clock began its life as it is today.

There would be no reason your father's clock is not correct. By the way, I like your father's clock, great looking carved and turned feet. I am in the process of having a set carved for my transition, mine looks kinda lost without them. It really makes a difference in the "finished" look of these clocks.

Thank you for you post and sharing a picture of your father's clock. Its always great to see examples of different clocks

posted
Here is an image of the back of clock showing the splat glue blocks

posted
Derek
Thanks for sharing your Terry clock and your expertise.

Our clock also has the glue blocks but is missing the pulley covers. Too bad! Nevertheless we like it!

Do you have a shop in Lexington? We are originally from Ky. and pass through there occasionally.

Thanks again
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Unfortuately Pattye, I don't have a clock shop. I primarily do consulting for small businesses in the area of insurance and cash management issues.

When people come by my office, one of the things they usually ask is if I buy and sell clocks, I kinda chuckle and say no, I just buy clocks. All kidding aside, I have sold a few, but I mostly just collect. Collecting, especially clock collecting is chronic illness for which I'm not sure there is a cure.

Anytime you are passing thru the area, let me know and I'll be happy to have you come by my office and show you some of the clocks I have. I always enjoy discussing and looking at clocks.