• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth thomas ships clock. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just bought a seth thomas ships clock in a brass case, 4 inch dial with a screw on bezel, the case is pretty heavely tarnished i was wondering if any of you guys have a secret for cleaning brass cases? I have heard of soaking them in strong white vinegar but thought i would ask here first! Thanx!

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
I expect you're going to receive many suggestions. I collect antique electric fans, and these are some suggestions from cleaning brass blades. Remove the movement from the case. The case might well have lacquer on it, so you'll need to remove that first. Wiping it down with Lacquer Thinner will probably work. If you have some Acetone handy, that removes lacquer. Next spray it down with Sno-Bowl Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Let it sit for a minute and wash that off. Do it again. That will brighten the brass considerably. After this, it's polish time. You can use Brasso, and Simi-Chrome, and do a nice job of making the brass shine. But the case won't stay polished unless it's clear coated. Most of the fan guys use Nikolas spray lacquer. But let me assure you, polishing and clear coating brass is an art. You might want to polish the case, then wax it with car wax. That will keep the tarnish away for a few years on it's own. I hope this helps.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Here is a couple of pic's of the movement i can't find a serial number on the movement itself but the inside of the case has 1589 as does the dial (lightly scribed) the part i need is the train wheel that runs the second hand it is bent out of round other then that it seems to be fine. also can anyone tell me the approx. age of this clock thanx!

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
e

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Eric,
Here is a description of what looks like your movement. It is dated here as 1928, but I am sure these were made over a greater span of time.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002