• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Girandole clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Do you have any thoughts on the authenticity of the Stennes Girandole that sold at the recent Schmitt auction? Did the auctioneer have any comments about it?

Dick Bailey

Posts: 5 | Location: Columbus, Ohio USA | Registered: March 25, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Richard,
Stennes clocks are great examples of newer clocks that demonstrate excellent craftsmanship. They are beautiful clocks.

I did not see that auction. Is there a picture available,or an online site to view the clock?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
There's two Stennes clocks on ebay, they end tomorrow. One lyre banjo and one regular type banjo. They end tomorrow I think.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hello Richard,

Elmer Stennes made a significant number of reproduction banjo, lyre, Grandmother, and Girandole. The total number is unclear, however a number of Stennes clocks appear at auctions. However their authenticity is queationable for a portion of them as the value for his clock rise unfortunately forgery is becoming common.

I would be very cautious purchasing any Stennes clock unless the owner could produce original receipt or have some docmentation for its authenticity.

Buyer Beware.... Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy's point is well taken. I am not familiar with all the models that Stennes made, but here is a link to one from a reputable dealer.

STENNES

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13859&item=6533187204&rd=1

This a resonable price for a Stennes wall clock. If you want to pay 4 or 5 times what a clock is worth then go to Mr. Converse.Will check on what the Stennes went for latter on today.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004